1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Tried to make a piece using only the Lemondrop with no external sequencing or processing.

Such a lovely little instrument.

28 Likes

That was really good!

1 Like

I shouldn’t have watched that. Now I also want a lemondrop. This video is stunning.

2 Likes

WOW! What a great composition and atmosphere! Is it really just one single “patch” you are playing?

1 Like

They should pay you a commission!

2 Likes

As usual, Austin makes everyone want to buy the instrument he’s just done a video on :slight_smile:

Absolutely brilliant as always. :+1:

2 Likes

What are your thoughts on the lemondrop advantages/disadvantages over the gr-1 (aside from the obvious size and tactile control differences)?

Thanks all for the nice words!

Advantages:

• 2 filters vs 1 (the filters sound better on the 1010 in my subjective opinion)
  • 2 effects slots vs 1 (the effects sound better on 1010 in my subjective opinion, especially the delay/reverb)
  • Extra envelope for modulation
  • Built-in sequencer for modulation
  • Built-in keyboard (though you can still play chords on GR-1 without a keyboard)
  • Physical audio input jack vs USB for live granular input
  • Better preset management/internal sample management (GR-1 has a limit on the amount of samples and presets you can save onto the actual unit iirc)
  • X/Y controls as a macro controller
  • Dual grain engines - while GR-1 can have up to 4 at once, it can be a little easier to navigate on the 1010
  • Built-in basic oscillator (useful for doing what I did in my video above or for adding thickness to the grain oscs)
  • Pushing to max grain density/size won’t cause grain/audio dropouts (this is admittedly a problem with the GR-1, though it’s really only if you are getting into 1000s of grains per second with lots of voices and longer-ish grains)

Disadvantages (though I imagine some of these could be implemented):

• No grain shape/envelope control
  • No reverse grains
  • LFOs don’t go slow enough (this is subjective, but would be pleased even with a 30 second cycle. LFOs can go very slow on GR-1)
  • Less grains per voice (though still more than plenty for lush zones. GR-1 is just crazy. just 1 voice on GR-1 = the entire amount of grains available on all voices on LD)
  • No CV input, just clock
  • No reverse position scanner
  • No USB MIDI (or audio, but less important)

I really enjoy having both. The 1010 has enough going on for it, that it does not feel like a watered down GR-1.

11 Likes

Yeh! just a single patch! Granular clouds really helps make it sound like more is going on than you would think.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed response!

Anyone know where you can buy one of these in the UK? Seems to be sold out til May in all the online retailers.

I got mine from here

Bit pricier, but the only place I could find that had stock.

2 Likes

Purchased!

1 Like

This box is a total delight!

It sounds epic, deep, surprising. It will be top for atmospheric sounds and pads and some wild leads. The loaded samples and presets are great. Seems like you can do quite a bit of modulation too which needs further exploration.

Form factor is good. It isn’t too small. UI nearly makes sense to me after an hour or two of use. I’m not constantly referring to a manual. I guess it is more for sound design than performance but the x/y pad offers something expressive. Super portable, played it on the tube for 20mins yesterday. Lots of fun.

Now for the question:

I tried Line Thru and real-time granularizing (if that is a word) an incoming sound on Live Input. It was very quiet, even with the op-z output cranked up. I’m on the latest firmware 1.1.2 which is meant to increase the volume. Is anyone else experiencing this to be very quiet too? Is it safe to crank the volume and Live Input/Line Thru all the way to the max or do you risk damaging the unit?

2 Likes

They’re a really nice shop, glad to hear they got your money too :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely.

Had an extended email exchange on the nice design of their website! The lemondrop arrived in the middle of our chat :grin:

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a durable case for the nanobox size plus a few cables to take it out and about?

I use this one:

WERJIA Hard Carrying Case for RG351MP/RG350M/ RG350P/RG350 Handheld Retro Game Storage Suitcase (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FYKW2CL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NKJCPCKRA9QAF6GD13X7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It fits snuggly with the power cable, small iphone adapter, and midi cable. I figured out an arrangement where everything fits just so.

For all of my audio cables I use a small canvas handbag. I prefer having something flexible so that I can stuff it into any small space in my backpack.

4 Likes

Been reading through this thread, and as soon as I read this I went over to sweetwater and placed my order.

Then I watched the Daniel Fisher video and saw how he is running Eurorack osc’s through it to play polyphonicly. This could be a really expensive lemon drop you just sold me.

1 Like

I am struck by how there was a great burst of interest around the time of release, and pretty much silence since. Those of you who have had it for a while: what do you think? What have you been using it for?

4 Likes