1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

I just ordered a plinky without researching the 1010 stuff. Seems like the plinky is like a combination of both of these new pieces with the ability to record samples

1 Like

Ok, I compared the specs with the Blackbox. There are new granular parameters like Jitter, Tune and Attack preserve.
There is just 1 LFO in the part of the BB. And of course no layering of the oscillators and no basic oscillator.
Lemondrop has only 4 voices of polyphony, but in the BB the overall polyphony is also limited and you can hear dropouts if you push it too much. 8 granular channels on BB would probably consume all the CPU.
So at the same time these devices are close but also different. The color of the granular engine is recognizable.

2 Likes

@Moonwax I saw those specs as well and was thinking about where each fits in. It seems like the Lemondrop has just a bit more focus on granular with different modulation. I am wondering about what the Lemondropā€™s capabilities will be in a year or two following some firmware updates from 1010. I imagine it evolving into something potentially very interesting. Iā€™m so conflicted. I might just go ahead and pull the trigger and do a pre-order.

The granular mode is actually my default and most used mode in the Blackbox. And I always wanted more features for it. This new box is a very nice addition and it is already very interesting. Itā€™s architecture reminds me a little of Korg Gadgetā€™s Vancouver module (with addition of granular, of course).

Regarding the future development I am not so sure. The BB granular improvements came after 2 or 3 years of waiting and I was almost sure they abandoned this branch of features. Hopefully, they did not.

Lemondrop! Yes!

Price! Errrr no?

Disappointed.

Awesome to see more granular hardware, but I think the main advantage of something like a GR-1 (other than TONS of processing power dedicated just to a granular engine) over all the great software options is the UX: knob per function for almost everything youā€™d want it for, excellent responsive slider for zooming the position around, high quality (big!) screen. This thing actually seems more unpleasant than using a mouse on a computer imo, all these menus trapped inside tiny screen (menu diving for volume is particularly brutal). Of course, GR-1 is hella pricey, but this still ainā€™t cheapā€¦ Feels like quite a luxury product at the same time as being a bit toy like.

That said, two big advantages over GR-1. Getting live audio into it looks significantly easier (you have to plug a USB audio interface into GR-1 to do so, which is a real pain), though can you actually record directly into it? Was a bit unclear from what I watched. Second is the modulation sequencer, which I basically want some form of on every bit of gear after having Elektron boxes.

3 Likes

If Iā€™m not mistaken, GR-1 has some thing like drawable free automation envelope.

Regarding the controls on this device, I think, itā€™s not bad. Granular operations need a precision, for example, for sample starting position and such operations are quite good on 1010 box. Even one knob is a big improvement over a mouse (just was messing with Bitwigā€™s granulator today)

1 Like

Do you mean the AUX waveform (LFO drawn by moving the slider)? Thatā€™s really cool, but thereā€™s a level of precision you can get from a step sequencer with ā€˜parameter locksā€™ thatā€™s unbeatable imo. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be swapping my GR-1 for this anytime soon though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Last video is much better and explained what it really is every detail. I think the design (besides painful color ) and ui are quite good :+1: sound q is also seems good enough.

I guess it wonā€™t let u record samples at this point which is strange decision, as well as no usb audio (one of the very nice features of DT - makes it so easy to sample from phone, laptop etc ).

Still think the price is too high for what it is.

Wondering is something similar available for Norns?

1 Like

The lemon drop and fireball seems to be little beasts, but at this price point thereā€™s some things that should have been there from the start:

• USB midi
  • USB audio
  • direct sampling for the lemon drop. It has an SD card and line in, this seems so obvious.
  • reverb AND delay

And why the hell 399$ becomes 449ā‚¬, while for the black box itā€™s 649$/599ā‚¬?

Thereā€™s only one thing that could justify that price in my eyes: swappable firmwares. Especially given that the yellow isā€¦ debatable, both for taste and readability, I love the red one but prefer the granular engine.

Of course all of this could be added in updates, but until then Iā€™m waiting. Honestly these prices are GAS-killer, and I rarely see so many people complain about that.

4 Likes

:100: same feelingsā€¦

Letā€™s wait and seeā€¦ maybe if I have no other choices this would be a nice buy, but having some CRAZY granular apps on iPad, m4l, vst, euro rackā€¦ wellā€¦ not sure

Alsoā€¦ does it accept stereo files or?

Both of these new offerings seem super cool, but man are they TINY. I donā€™t really have room left in my setup, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d get on with them. Excited to hear more from them though. 1010 Music is a cool company.

Yes, I forgot the name. No, donā€™t part or swap it.
Regarding the granular hardware one should not part with anything :smiley:

1010 music is an American company? Hm, yes, the conversion is strange but inevitable unfortunately.

I would not rely much on the updates. No criticism for the company, but I see their pace and the device is probably near the limits already (see my previous comment, it is looking close to BB by the processing specs)

Polyend Tracker

Yes, it has two grain sources and one oscillator, all of them with individual settings and balancing, and modulation destinations. Then thereā€™s beat sync options as well, and a few more others. It has the same character as the blackbox granular engine, tho, and itā€™s four voice polyphonic with that extra oscillator to boost.

2 Likes

I have a GR-1 and I love it. The crossfader, the faders and the knobs make it a great live instrument. You might be able to get similar results by controlling the Lemondrop with an Octatrack via midi.

2 Likes

I liked the Lemon better than the Ball. However, since the transport controls on the device itself are rather basic, is it better to spend that $400 towards an iPad with granular app instead?

3 Likes

Wow. I booked marked the page years ago. Also have the meeblip and the midi thing, forgot the name. Nice review btw.

1 Like