1010music nanobox lemondrop : new granular synth

Unfortunately firmwares will not be swappable on the nanoboxes.

1 Like

i feel like my Norns (Fates) is the only thing keeping me from wanting this. Itā€™s like a mini GR-1

or like a hardware Granulator II (m4L), which i love

but the Granchild script, among others (twine, mangl, silos, etc) and even the non-grain specific looper scripts like MLR & CC2 keep a lot of the GAS for basic software based sample manglers at bay

the eurorack options are much more appealing to me. miso cornflakes, addac112, assimil8or, er-301, percussa ssp

4 Likes

Looking at Sonicstateā€™s vid - they have them stuck with some rubber gum underneath so the boxes donā€™t wiggle around by the weight of the cables attached to them. They look sweet but the price is ridiculous and besides the 2 knobs I donā€™t see how an ipad isnā€™t the much more obvious option, battery powered as well.

4 Likes

:hearts: :pray:

1 Like

I agree itā€™s janky as hell. It leads to interesting places but is awkward. Itā€™s going to have to do though ā€¦ unless this little Lemondrops itā€™s fancy retail price.

While Iā€™m not an official 1010 rep, Iā€™d still like to point out that when you go on about the price, youā€™re missing out on the fact that the output quality of these boxes certainly live up to the price tag and then some.

Most instruments in this bracket simply donā€™t sound nearly this good. YouTube vids, Soundcloud demos, they are what they are, but sit down and play one of these things, and youā€™ll hear why itā€™s not in the Volca range.

That stuff really matters when you start to work with these kits in a mix, recording and layering, running them through external gear or your DAW effects or whatnot. Almost anything sounds from decent to great when just played on their own but youā€™ll notice the difference for real, when you use them for real.

15 Likes

CD quality sound :joy:

^ this isnā€™t really shit in 2022 though is it? Unless stuff is explicitly analogue lofi to study to ā€¦ thatā€™s just expected.

I like the yellow one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

On their forum, itā€™s said that they worked hard to make each unique and thatā€™s why OS are not swappable. itā€™s the same box / IO / hardware for each, they even did not print the name on each oneā€¦Iā€™m seeing this as a (bad) marketing strategy. I bet they are waiting to see if both sell well before revealing you can swap the firmwares (after they unlock this). Given the price of those beasts , they better allow this quickly IMHO. The way to justify the actual price is to make the OS swappable freely and then youā€™ll get a non brainer.

5 Likes

Every time I think ā€œmaybe Iā€™ll get a microgrannyā€ itā€™s soon followed by ā€œoh, I remember why not ā€¦ file managementā€

2 Likes

I had the same thought.

1 Like

I am sure someone else will pull the firmwares and write a code to do this, as well as letting to switch between them with a button combo and a reset.

1 Like

sold!

Iā€™ll wait on this one. As most Iā€™m interested most in the Lemonbox but the price, damn.

Just spent an hour playing on granular apps on my phone, connected to my keystep. They do most of what this box does (and some more) for a ridiculously low price and on a bigger touchscreen. At 200ā‚¬ it would have been a ā€œno-brainerā€ (you still shell out 200ā‚¬ for an soft synth in a case with two knobs), at 300ā‚¬ I would have considered it, at 450ā‚¬ Iā€™m waiting for an aftermarket one or a price decrease.

It would have been reasonable to sell it at that price if it had a lot more knobs/sliders (like the soft-synths-in-cases from Modal Electronics). The only thing new it brings to the table is its form factor, and my smartphone is already small thank you.

Edit: swappables firmwares (and other firmwaresā€¦ VA, Drum Synth, ā€¦) would definitely make for an interesting proposition and the pill less hard to swallow.

Edit2: The issue is really not the fact thatā€™s a soft synth in a box. Itā€™s that itā€™s a cramped touch-like interface with only two knobs that makes it compete withā€¦ well smartphones. The GR-1 (and all granular synths) is a soft synth in a box and a much more coherent proposition. This thing made me discover it and want to buy one.

Edit3: And I would still consider the smartphone first despite being as idiotic as the rest of (some of) you, being on the infamous ā€œI do to much computer all day I donā€™t want to make music on screensā€-team.

5 Likes

Off topic - or not?

THX for mentioning the tasty chips clectronics GR-1! I didnā€™t knew that.
For those who are interested in spending around the same money for both nanoboxes here is the link to the GR-1

Think its usability is much better.

5 Likes

I can back up that this thing is a joy to use: all those sliders and knobs make it so damn playable! Thereā€™s also a really nice tape mode where you can use the slider as a playhead and do varispeed stuff with the scan knob, and of course multitimbral mode with up to 4 samples. It is quite expensive so I was on the fence for a long time, but a lot of thought and care has gone into the interface and the engine is incredibly powerful, which makes it definitely worth the cash if youā€™re really into granular synthesis.

3 Likes

Yeh, I do so much on my 32 inch 4K screen that in my time off I want to look at a 2 inch screen :slight_smile:

The main reason to go hardware is for me is the knob per function paradigm or preferring ā€˜analogueā€™ or something unique software doesnā€™t do or playing liveā€¦not sure this box ticks an of those, even the sonic state review they seemed to really struggle to see what the ā€˜pointā€™ of this form factor was.

1 Like

If I am not wrong the Polyend Tracker does granular too.

Iā€™d guess thereā€™s a simple software check on the firmware ā€¦ a quick tweak might make it accept the other firmware. ā€¦ similar to how the korg firmwares were tweaked.

Though it wonā€™t impact my choice to purchase , im not buying anything atm.

It does but itā€™s a single grain affair per voice kinda like a poly micro-looper, but Lemondrop does:

16 grains per oscillator for a total of 128

Yeah I agree, borderlands on iOS for instance is awesome and a lot cheaper. The live processing - ie as an effects unit - is probably the biggest draw for me with this unit. Is quite expensive for that though.

3 Likes