12v adapter for TD-3

Hey,
I got a question about the Behringer TD-3 MO, I want to run it on 12v and I have this adapter that gives 9.35v the original adapter gives 9.10v so I’m curious if this will work or if I will burn a fuse or if I’m in danger of breaking it beyond repairs?

It will probably work at 12V but why?

I don’t have mains electricity, running it of a solar setup with a crappy battery. So 12v is to avoid putting the inverter on only for the TD-3

But I’m pretty sure 12v will break it since it’s rated for 9v, but my adapter gives 9.35v I’m just not sure if those 0.35v extra will burn the electronics

With voltage, small variations don’t matter much. Under load voltage gets lower anyway, it isn’t that stable, especially with batteries.
± 1 V is nothing.
I know that with guitar pedals some people use 12V or even 18V instead of 9V on purpose, because the circuits sound different, apparently there is more headroom/less compression/clipping by doing that.
It doesn’t work with all pedals though, some components can’t take it.
There should be small adapters for going from 12V to 9V i imagine. A single resistor should do it actually? I have not much clue about electronics unfortunately.

Edit: this should work:
Google „ DC-DC Step Down Voltage Converter 12V to 9V“

Use a multimeter to be sure. They are like 20 € and very useful.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information! Yeah I know, I already measure with a multimeter that’s how I know it’s 9.35v and not 9 like I know there is lots of voltage converters online, but I already got one I just wasn’t sure if I should use it or not

Hi, just so that I’m clear, you have a buck convertor or a step down converter that will turn the 12v into 9v and you want to use that with a 12 volt battery and run the 9.35v into the pedal whose normal adapter puts out 9.1v?

If that’s the case there should be no problem, the other poster is correct that this is a very minute difference especially being powered by a dc battery. the one thing I would say is that if your step-down converter is one which requires calibration, make sure it’s calibrated before plugging it into the actual pedal.

1 Like

Yeah it’s calibrated, and yeah I put it on 9v and check it with a multimeter just to be sure and that ± is correct

1 Like

you’ve probably seen resistors and other components have a tolerance - unless you’re building something which requires a lot of precision (not a behringer pedal) there’s no way they’re even going to use a +/- 1% component, probably 5% or higher variarnce in voltage is accounted for in the design, from the factory adapter at 9.1v then +/- 5% would be .455 volts up or down which is within the planned tolerance, generally speaking it can handle more than that but just within the spec of the components that much is allowable - you’re only going up .25v from the baseline number, I’m positive you’ll be ok. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Nah I’m not building anything :sweat_smile: thanks for the update, I’m grateful for your insight!

1 Like