2022 Gear: Hits and Misses

Hits:
OXI One -so deep, and I’m just getting started. Excellent customer support & constant FW updates.
Syntakt -pairs well with OT & Digitakt, etc. Kicks & Hats are especially good.
Rachael -great for kicks, great to pair with my DDRM.
ALM MFX -great fx, especially for its form factor.
Ziqal Dimension -great sound, complex and controllable.
MIX BX -great modular mixer that replicates the BX series sound. DIY version is easy to build if you are used to doing SMDs.

No misses.

4 Likes

Hits :

• Maschine Jam : awesome addition when you like Maschine.
  • Studiologic sl73 : Simple, slick, cheap and awesome keybed.

Miss :

• Osmose :rofl: Maybe next year’s hit !

Not sure :

• Boss rc505 mkII : bought it for a project which stalled and not used enough to have something to say about it.
2 Likes

Miss: Gear

Hit: No Gear :smiley:

(I am currently in the process of going back where I seem to belong: in the box. Was a quite expensive journey to get back and I don’t really want to count what buying and reselling stuff cost me over the last 2 years. But this is also experience I have gotten, so in the end it may be worth it and I am verry thankful that I am in a position to afford the loss.)

6 Likes

I’m in for the last 6 ! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I do think it’s important to go through a process like that. You probably wouldn’t even listen to your future self encouraging you to avoid hardware, let alone advice from someone else. You had to go through that journey and now you’ve learned a lot and you’re probably a better musician too. Congrats on discovering what makes you tick!

6 Likes

Hits

Octatrack mk2 - been putting this off for too long and it seems, so far, to be exactly what I’ve always wanted for a machine to use live. Also it’s not as difficult as I’d convinced myself it was but it does go deep and I’m only scraping the surface

Ableton and max for live - this isn’t new but I’ve never dug into max4live until the last few months. Also I’ve not been using a computer for the last year or so but I’m now super productive back using the tools I know and embracing max4live devices.

iPad - again not new but I continue to buy apps and have now synced it up to my Octatrack to sample and as an audio and midi device in ableton. Endless fun

Misses

Eurorack - I love the creativity and how personal it can be but it’s just a big distraction for me and far too expensive for what it offers. It’s the type of luxury I’d enjoy when retired and no bills to pay. Huge weight of my shoulders when I decided to let my rack go.

Typhon - not bad in any way just had bit of crossover and wasn’t using it as much

On the fence

Syntakt- seems great just not had time to use it much

Uno synth pro desktop - same as syntakt

5 Likes

interesting

very interesting … does it show digital character anywhere else?

once its tweaked you can save the kit?

…ar mki might be my first elektron box

I wish I thought that before hahaha

I also play bass (Fender Mustang Offset), so that + an analog bass synth will cover all my bass duties

2 Likes

hit: leploop (acquired mint in a trade. sounds amazing, needs a reverb. the sequencers not bad. absolutely devastating kick drum (esp over a big system omg))

miss: dx200 (without the software its useless)

1 Like

Just to update my previous post with a few new things I’ve added:

Hits:

• Arturia Minifreak: I had Microfreak but hated the metal touch keys, so this was a logical upgrade. I love it, it’s everything I want in a keyboard synth.

On The Fence:

• 1010 Nanobox Razzmatazz: A really great synth engine, killer FX, a surprisingly decent sequencer, and overall great implementation. But the form factor and a few limitations keep me from being totally smitten.
  • Polyend/Dreadbox Medusa: I love the concept of this synth, but I keep hitting some limits of the synth engine that I’m not crazy about. Really makes me wish I’d checked out Polyend Preset while I was into Modular though because the grid is excellent. Still when I’m using it to do parameter locks, I find myself wishing it was an Analog Four. The analog voice mixer really could use an overdrive, as could the filter. I am probably going to try adding a pedal or two just to liven up the sound.

Misses

• Akai MPC OPx-4: I re-bought the MPC Live a third or fourth time (I’ve lost track) just to give this a try. While it sounds terrific and obviously has enormous potential, it just drives me nuts how the mod matrix works. Every single slot is pre-populated, even on the init patch. I haven’t created a new init patch just simply due to how enormously tedious clearing out 32 slots would be. Plus the designers opted to use the mod matrix for some basic stuff like velocity > volume, etc. so if you start with a totally blank mod matrix, you’re lacking a few essentials like that. Also there’s the fact that it’s basically an iPad app. Definitely not the reason to get a MPC IMO. Still on the fence about whether I’m going to keep it or return it yet. (the MPC, not the plugin. Pretty sure I’m stuck with that.)

It’s fascinating that this is such a common thing that those of us who get rid of modular say after doing so. I’ve read this exact sentiment many times, and said it myself.

3 Likes

The medusa really comes to life after adding a few effects. I was also on the fence with my medusa.

Looking at previous years I’ll probably fall out of love with whatever I have a a “hit”. Hopefully that won’t be the case this year…

Hit:
Prophet 5 Rev 4 - Predictable but it really is the most beautiful instrument I have ever played or owned. The sound, the aesthetics, the ergonomics - it’s all perfect.

Moog Grandmother Dark - Had this grand idea of integrating it with the modular but it sounds so good on its own. The perfect accompaniment for my A4 (and a bit of eurorack) as a standalone dawless setup.

On the Fence:
OTO BAM - Love the sound of the reverb and its tweak-ability, but struggling to integrate it into my hybrid setup. Really hoping I can find a natural home for it.

Miss:
Roland TR-6S - Bit of a fiddly interface but it’s mostly down to hating anything USB-powered. Had this daft idea of pairing it with a Digitakt to be a pseudo-Rytm. Didn’t really work out like that and I went back to a Rytm!

4 Likes

Hits:

- OP-1 Field
- TX-6
- OXI One
- Korg SQ-64
- 1010Music Lemondrop
- Empress Zoia
- Korg NS-1
- Akai MPC ONE
- Arturia Microfreak
-Arturia Keystep 37

Comig:
Retrokits RK-008

Miss:
- Waldorf Blofeld i sell years ago this great piece of sound. Now that i went DAWless i miss it when using sequencers. BUT i forget about it with the iPad+AUM+ many synth apps…
- Model:Samples
- Volca Sample
- Maschine MK2
-Maschine Mikro MK3

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I figured, though being able to overdrive the filter or analog voices for example without overdriving the wavetable oscillators would be desirable. For my use case I am thinking a A4/AK may be a better option. But I’m such a fan of the grid I’m going to give this synth a lot more time to win me over. I may be able to achieve what I want with something like Zoia where I could split the signal path into some filters and apply different FX to different frequency ranges.

You could always use the grid as an MPE midi controller for other hardware or soft synths

Yes, that’s one of the reasons the Medusa keeps pulling me in.

Really? I loved the guitar layout of notes one can configure on the grid of the Medusa, but I found every other aspect to be or feel absolutely horrible. It felt so stiff and very unresponsive as a midi keyboard, I couldn’t get any consistency in velocity, let alone the MPE parameters.

There’s not much give to the pads, but I do like how you can play glissando on them. And they do seem to respond to pressure and position pretty well.

1 Like

I didn’t buy much this year but a few things:

Hits:

-Fender Rumble Bass Amp: For my bass but also re-amping experiments.

-Meinl Sonic Energy Small Tongue Drum: I got it for sampling and already I want a full size one. And a handpan.

Misses:

-Volca Keys: I like the Volca Sample the most out of all them. This one just didn’t do it for me.

-Roland Fantom-06: I don’t know how many Rolands I’m going to have to buy to finally admit I just don’t really like Roland. For workstations or romplers I’ve always preferred Yamaha but I got this over the MODX because I liked the keybed much better, the additional knobs, and I liked how you could dim the screen.

1 Like