A couple of Elektron questions/My first Elektron buy

Which Elektron machine would you suggest/say can work most like sort of a music production workstation?

Looking to buy my first Elektron machine and am looking for something that can be sort of a music production station/compositional/tool. Like, is able to compose and playback tracks that include drums, bass, synth/samples and song structure.

I’m guessing either the new Analog Rytm or the Octatrack might be it.

Also, are all Elektron machines drum machines in a way? They all have step sequencers and drum sounds included it seems like.

Thanks.

Well, it sounds like the Octatrack is what you may need, as you can load in any sound you want, it becomes a synth, drum machine - even record long parts from external sources, turning it into a multitrack recorder type of thing and so on… But this beast has a ‘different’ learning curve than the other elektrons due to having lot of strong features…

The AR is a drum machine with sample playback capabilities. It does not handle samples as well as the octatrack does. But this unit concantrates on analog drum synthesis. As the features are more focused on this unit, it has an easier learning curve.

If you already had an elektron unit and knew how to operate one, learning an octatrack would be easier. But as this is your first unit, hard to say. If you have been making music on step sequencers and know ur way around FX and other common parameters, you should try octatrack.

But, beware - if you like 1 elektron unit, you will want the rest :slight_smile:

Dataline is correct sir.

Sounds like you are talking about an Octatrack. This is the closest to music production tool, or MPC…
actually scratch that, its KIND OF like an MPC, but completely different workflow.

anyways… Yes the octatrack will Do everything you are talking about but with Samples, or Single Cycle Waveforms etc.

All Elektron instruments have similar elements, and almost the same workflow with their own little nuances.

I would say the OT is the hardest of the group, but if you can w
rap your head around that, you are good to go with the rest… (for the most part).

The Monomachine is a digital Synth, with a few built in drum elements, and you can use up your six tracts to create custom drums if you like.

The A4 has four analog tracks, and you can create drums on that, but because of sound per step you can do a TON on one track alone.

The Machinedrum is a drum machine in the TRUEST sense of the word, with some synth elements you.

As for the Analog RYTM… I will leave our friend Dataline to tell you about that as I have not been lucky enough to even gaze upon it haha.

But Beware… Like he said… Its a slipery slope! You WILL want more.

Thanks you two.

What I mean is in the video demos (like the Analog Rytm) they sound and look like they are doing more than just one thing like sampling or drums. This Analog Rytm video demo sounds (and looks) like there is more going on than just drums, it sounds like a complete song is being performed. Are these videos or this Analog Rytm video made with just the machine being advertised or made with other machines as well?

Thanks for your help.

Reportedly this demo was done solely with the Rytm. I guess there are several tracks used with samples for the pad-sounds. As samples can be played chromatically or parameter-locked (e.g. different samples for one track) making such an arrangement could be done with ease.

One thought is how you prefer to work with and manage samples. If it’s good enough for you to manage a decent set of samples via a computer and you don’t need any sampling and editing capabilities on the machine itself the Rytm could be sufficient. If you want to dig deeper and bend and twist your samples as well as work a lot with drum loops or in general with sample loops, or real-time sampling the OT is definitely the way to go.

Yes, that soundtrack is Rytm only! Load in samples you want and sequence them :slight_smile:

an octatrack is probably what will do for you…but be warned, as others have said here, you’ll want to have them all :smiley:

Thanks all.

I’m leaning toward the Analog Rytm as my first Elektron machine. As much as a full featured dynamic sampler sounds really great, heavy rhythm based and bass heavy production is what I’m mainly interested in, and I’m assuming the Analog Rytm will excel at these specific things somewhat more than the Octatrack. Let me know if these assumptions sound incorrect though. Thanks again.

It won’t matter which you buy first, you’ll end up with the rest…save the best (OT) till last. The wait will be worth it.

It’s like Pokemon, Gotta catch em all.