A friend just completed construction on his new studio

Yesterday I went to the party he was throwing to celebrate. Why is this interesting?

The centerpiece console is the one from Abbey Road used to record Dark Side of the Moon and countless other great records. It has been fully restored to all of its internal and external glory, and is the most expensive (at auction) and perhaps the most coveted mixing desk ever.

Freaking amazing, just being the the same room as that thing. What a humbling piece of musical history.

His vintage keyboard and synth collection was nothing to sneeze at either.

:exploding_head:

24 Likes

Wow! Good thing @Scot_Solida didnā€™t see it first :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have a Bad Monkey guitar pedal Iā€™d be willing to trade for the console.

12 Likes

This desk sold at auction in NY for $1.8M in 2017 (buyer not reported in news accounts at the time). Has your friend been building his studio ever since, or was there another private sale more recently?

4 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Seriously, ā€œmy friend got something coolā€ and we barely get a story! :wink:

7 Likes

we need at least one pic!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s cool, but how warm was it?

8 Likes

Iā€™m here for the neve flavored donuts.

5 Likes

Letā€™s hope he doesnā€™t show up in one of the ā€œcanā€™t finish songs/stuck in the 4 bar loopā€ threadsā€¦:joy:

20 Likes

At least heā€™ll do it in style.

4 Likes

I hope he dresses nice.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one. His new studio has been under construction for something close to five years.

The console was functional when he bought it, but after the last few years of internal and external restoration, it looks mint. Just gorgeous, Although a couple of dings here and there in the face of the console were left alone. It was mentioned those particular dings have historical significance, but the conversation shifted so I donā€™t know what they were.

Iā€™ll post a photo or two when I get a chance. My significant other took the pics so I need to get them from her.

8 Likes

Thanks for the additional details!

ā€œThis dent is where Alan Parsons banged his head in frustration when Roger Waters was being particularly obstinateā€¦ā€

13 Likes

I think this thread may be better without pics. like that experiment where they observe to see if people would eat free stale bagels or wait indefinitely with the promise of fresh bagels that were never coming.

This thread may have just leveled up.

6 Likes

A few moments later ā€˜guyz, new studio, how to get that bass pumping sound like deadmau5?ā€™.

4 Likes

Will you get to use his studio?

3 Likes

Do fully configured, professional mixing desks really sell for nearly $2m, or is that a $500k console with a historical-cultural premium?

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

The pre-auction estimate was about a third of that, even pricing in cultural value.

2 Likes