A Guide to AUTECHRE

they’re 100% max/msp these days, synthesis and ‘sequencing’

they’ve been using max since '96-97. obviously they’ve become so good at it that they don’t need anything else anymore. and i guess nothing that exist commercially can touch their design in quality and more importantly in flexibility. at this point they’d be crazy to use anything else. max is too sweet once you come to certain levels of expertise

Yeah I just can’t imagine some of the modulating harmonics being made in anything but Max or a massive Euro system.

If you preorder it on Bleep (or their Bleepstores page) you can download it now.

2 Likes

So you are saying they are producing all ITB?

it is purely MAX. they started by sequencing with it…then said why the fuck are we still using synths. lets write our own. they got into making effects then synths.

1 Like

Yes

3 Likes

this kinda ties in nicely with the "Do You Need Gear…
thread :slight_smile:

the tools are only as good as the carpenter right?
[that’s why I’m just a ‘penter’]

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently, as I’ve been writing stuff for a game soundtrack and using softsynths instead of hardware, because it’s convenient.

Not that I’m gonna go selling all my gear just because I can get similar sounds out of software, but it’s good to put things in perspective. Hardware for fun jams and experimenting, software for composition and iterations.

I’m guessing Autechre have got their setup to the point where it possibly even feels like hardware these days. I know they use the Kenton Killamix as their main controller live, wonder if they’ve got it mapped in the studio as well…

1 Like

Thats not what I asked.

1 Like

go buy it on their website if you’re so hot for a rip.

2 Likes

that’s not what I asked…

Well I’m sure someone recorded it, but it’s a bit redundant now that the album can be downloaded in high quality.

respect from a fellow ae wood wanderer

Interesting-I think they still have a lot of decent outboards for mixing and add dynamics to their music.

Whatever they use, I prefer hardware gear, I get bored with computer programming quite easily.

Spoiler alert: no one here is going to direct you on how to get it for free. So best to ask what you asked elsewhere.

6 Likes

Sure, but max/msp isn’t exactly what I would call a simple carpenter tool. As unlimited as it gets

Yes, I recorded the album stream (for personal use only). I also pre-ordered it from Bleep since artists need to eat.

6 Likes

I recorded it and then deleted it once I found out the pre-orders got their DL right after the stream.

Good shit!

2 Likes

I think that’s a snippet of the first song… Sounds incredible =)

1 Like

The sounds on this album are incredible. I assume this kind of sound design is only possible with software?