A Guide to AUTECHRE

Definitely still keep thinking I’ve somehow ended up listening to BoC… It’s making me feel bugged out and crazy.

1 Like

alright this album is already starting to sink in. there are two tracks that I dont think will ever get traction with me…F7 and gr4. they’re just to oversteps

but the rest…damn!

Yes I am with you, after listening it I want to play more with my digitone and cycle.

2 Likes

I’m just getting in to Autechre quite recently. I think it’s because the more I play with synths the more I appreciate the sounds and textures they make. I know in the past they’ve used the MD and the MnM, but out of the current lineup of elektron machines, which do you think they would most likely use?

None of them. They’ve moved beyond them. If you held a gun to my head though, I’d say DN, but purely as a sound module, being fed from Max in some complicated, algorithmic way (then processed out of all recognition).

4 Likes

I figured that would be the case. I guess I was more asking what are the most progressive and deeper of the current boxes. Digitone and octatrack would get my pick.

1 Like

In terms of depth, A4 would get a look in too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MAX/MSP

I think that’s kind of it. They have a massive patch they’ve been building since…forever.

Easy to werk at home and pass scenes back and forth and werk on stuff. No need to be “in studio”. Harder to do when yer older.

Speaking of…if I’m not mistaken, 24 hours is still 24 hours. So why does it feel like there is less time to do things each day!? :thinking:

2 Likes

WEIRD…have new Ae in the stereo this AM.

Metaz form8 comes on…and my cat immediately gets all weird and starts sniffing around the speaker. I’m guessing the pitch of the buzzy noise is tripping him out. Hahaha.
Like he’s trying to find something in and around the speaker.

1 Like

There is an interview with Autechre here https://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/

They say both MD and MnM are in boxes since long time.

They just use Max for sequencing and FM Synths and modular for sound source.

I still create nice autechre sound with my nord rack and a bit of digitone

Not sure A4 can take you into Autechre territory

If you listen into Tri Repetae there is nord rack everywhere…

2 Likes

Where can I hear this?

beautiful album! :revolving_hearts: :butterfly: :sun_with_face:

Interesting. I was under the impression it was purely Max. Is there anyway you can link to the post where they said this?

I’m assuming Max is what they mean by modular. Though I did see the Nord G2 in some photos from Oversteps era tours, so maybe they’re still using that.

I don’t recall them mentioning Eurorack or any other similar modular gear.

I think I read it here https://forum.watmm.com/topic/81109-aaa-ask-autechre-anything-sean-and-rob-on-watmm/

I cannot remember which page- there is so much info in there…

My understanding is that Max would be used for midi sequencing.

The link provided by @Riuozami is from 2013 and in it the group discusses gear that they used in various particular eras from the past, including some Analogue Solutions modular gear. There’s no reason to think either that this gear is in use now or that this gear will never be used again.

1 Like

They use it for most of their synthesis and effects as well these days.

1 Like

Cool, good to know👍

Did anybody record the album stream?