A Guide to AUTECHRE

When I approached them outside a gig once they both had backpacks on. I couldn’t stop staring at them thinking the universe I had just heard was in those bits of cloth.

3 Likes

of course. my point was they would never tour or likely even play a local gig with such a thing anyway.

I hate when they, anyone, gets hacked on for the gear they use.

all I care about it is the output.

I think the most disappointing is when you hear sick shit…and the people playing it dont match the content, heh. I won’t mention any bands :slight_smile:

not cool to say…but…whateve

Blockquote: Shit, the more I write about it, the more it seems appealing :stuck_out_tongue: might have to get back into Max…

yes, … I realize this every time, I check out ae stuff, … but coding in max has not the same haptic joy, isn’t as emotional gratifying to me than playing guitar, drums or even composing… but,

ae are one of the most irritating but also inspiring musicians of our time

1 Like

you setup controllers…its basically the same as any virtual synth. you just get to define your own setup.

I mean that’s basically Maschine…right?

Idk. I tried Reaktor with a controller…wasn’t the same as my modular. And there aint nothing like analog pushed to the extremes (eg FM, gritty resonance, distortion etc)

1 Like

Just back from a walk and my fourth listen of the album (hey! i like to take my time) and still really enjoying it. If anything, I’m slightly worried that I’ve got it into as quickly as it normally takes much longer for me to take in their new material so worried I might get tired of it… that said, I got into Qauristice pretty quick too and it’s top tier stuff.

To the discussion about what gear they do or don’t use… I’m interested but only curiousity and because it can be inspiring - the MD/MNM sysex was fascinating. However, has anyone else noticed the last half a second of ‘r cazt’? It’s just like a tiny bit of hiss/hum/tape noise… part of me thinks that they’re just about mischievous enough to put it into to noise up geeks like us…

oh no of course not…but its not clicking a mouse.
but you still can make your own interface…HAVE an interface. cant get too jammy with a mouse.

I remember seeing these one time…

get to use more than one hand.

man…this album is over as soon as it starts. [SIGN] it just goes by so fluidly.
ends too quickly.

Not to doubt you on that… but my experience of Reaktor versus my modular hasn’t been the same as that. The whole interface of one versus the other makes a like for like comparison impossible to me. Sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other. That’s both from a usability and a sound quality perspective. Plus the nature of limited patch cables, VCAs, modules versus CPU limitations has a subconscious impact on my patching.

1 Like

It’s just a different type of creativity imo.

I mean… I still have gear so I definitely understand it; I’m programming by day so prefer a change from that when I want to make music. Not to mention an open architecture often intimidates me unless I have a very specific idea about what I want to do. Nothing beats dicking around with limited hardware when you can’t think of anything.

But at the same time, maybe putting in some effort to design some limited systems that can be played and swapped around like hardware could be inspiring…? hmm :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we have to keep in mind the lads had already decades of experience behind them when first approaching Max. So as opposed to having to work out sound design they were able to start immediately working out and making theirs the Max paradigm. I think this has a lot more to do with how successful this current run has been for them; that they were able to apply their “fuckery” to something like Max. And they’ve just gotten better. In comparison, Exai is a bit of a mess when compared to NTS/SIGN.

3 Likes

I think they said they started using Max to setup MIDI sequencers and controls for their hardware. then starting making FX…then figured why use hardware when we can write our own sounds? maybe it was sounds then FX?

prob inspired by the way Nord Mod werked to move to MAX?

who cares tho right?

oh dude…EXAI is awesome.

au14 and th red a sound like mods of previously done tracks. trying to find the ones…so many to go thru

2 Likes

…that might be the solution, probably i want to much, to complex patches for a start, in the end…
i would like to reach a state where I can improvise my patches with some dedicated controller

Nah, imo at least. I feel like Exai was way more structured, or at least edited.

Actually I recall in the WATMM thread they said one of the tracks on Exai was made in Sunvox… wonder which one? The fact that it’s not obvious is pretty relevant to this discussion, I think.

2 Likes

but which ?
tried a novation launchcontrol, … not bad but limiting

maybe I should try a faderfox pc12

Yeah, a friend of mine has built up a generative system that he can influence and play “songs” with using a couple of Launch Controls. He’s set it up so it makes music in his style, but the parameters are wide enough that the music can sound different every time. Impressive stuff.

2 Likes

Big fan of the Killamix. When I had an ES8 I was working on a Max patch that controlled timing of my case then sent audio back for a granular simulated tape reel sampler and the joystick was just too fun to control speed of two of those with the x and y axis.

1 Like

ya I was just looking at one I made to control stuff in the DT, so I didn’t have to go track and menu diving. change and record tempo changes. define pitches I wanted to hit with toggles…

learned a much of stuff in MAX and setup some cool controls. but, sadly, as cool as that/those patches are…it doesn’t help me make better tunes. I know how to control the fuck outta stuff…I just dont know what I wanna do with it.

to add to this: I could see why Ae would move off the gear and write their own synths etc. why buy a box you are just gonna control from your software.

1 Like

No. Exai is absolutely sick. I mean in terms of the production, mixing, the accuracy of the elements…that was a bit messy when compared to the recent two.

It’s funny, I personally thought the elseq/NTS sound seemed a bit less interesting than on Exai; more raw or something? Admittedly, I haven’t listened to them as much as Exai, as they’re so huge that I have a hard time picking a starting point, so my memory may be failing me.