A Guide to AUTECHRE

Definitely rawer…messier…like they were just banging on their new toys. Which is not at all a bad thing cause they’re still Ae.

Listening to the 24bit through my RME Babyface with Sennheiser HD600 is a sonic feast.

1 Like

I’ve seen mbm in London , was mostly a DJ set I think ( at purple turtle in Camden )

Also saw boc at the big warp party thing years ago.
Was a bit bored.

1 Like

verifying you selection 24bit, thru MOTU 828es, Schitt headphone amp, Grado PS-1000

sorry…I had to follow up :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh shit…you saw BoC…cool.

ive seen MBM, once in Montreal I think it was in 1990, if not 91…
saw em twice in LA, once in Vancouver and Twice in SF. the Montreal show did it for me. I was there for 808State, which was good. never heard of MBM at the time. their live show DESTROYED 808. id never seen heard anything like that at the time. that show was played.
Vancouver is when it looks like they switched to music is playing, with a live drummer, and they were either playing music from the vids they were chopping up or just doing video chops.

each show was super good. note: their heads are FULLY bobbing to their music.
MBM shows = POWER. the bass at the Vancouver show actually made it hard to breath at times ha ha ha…you could feel the sound waves moving your clothes.

saw Ae 4 times in LA and once in SF. the SF show was the day after the LA show. I drove down to see them in LA…and it was SICK. sounded amazing. I forget which venue it was at…I wanna say the Henry Fonda? then ripped back to to SF the following day after the Grapevine flooded which turned a 6 hour drive into a 14 hour drive. got back JUST in time to make the SF show at the Mezzanine…sadly that show sucked. the sound at the Mezz couldn’t handle Ae.

1 Like

I’ve seen 808 a few times , I often think they’re mostly miming except the noodling on clarinet.

I saw cabaret Voltaire at hacienda with a guy called Gerald as support. Around 1990

Saw autechre a few times , the 1st show had freeform as support ( worth hunting out his albums on worm interface ) … early 90’s

Also saw higher intelligence agency , only about 8 people and most were friends I’d dragged along that had never heard of them. I enjoyed it.

Back to autechre.
It doesn’t matter what controllers they use.

1 Like

HA HA HA…YES! I swear the dude that was playing the congas was banging away…stepped back to dance around and play his whistle…but the drums kept playing. I kinda lost it at that point.

but they had a mad last show. it was pretty cool when Cubic came on. the lasers were pretty amazing

ya I have all the Freeform stuff. Bola…etc etc. I was deep into that shit in the 90s

but if I get a kenton killamix I’ll finally be able to make elseq beatz!!!

4 Likes

Best audio quality has always been kraftwerk. The gig in Tokyo was crisp and clear … even tribal gathering was good and that we in a tent .

1 Like

OH YA! saw them at the Greek theater in LA. the sound was insane.

1 Like

If you use the same electricity provider and live in Manchester / wherever they are now , it’s one step closer to achieving their sound.

Try npower or octopus ??

I also read that Sean only uses his left hand and right eye … while wearing a wheel on his head.

2 Likes

Anyone know what brand of tea they drink?

I’ve made my best beats with this one, wonder if they drink the same one

2 Likes

Have you ever tried Sunvox?

Andrew Weatherall once said that Yorkshire Tea was the best tea to get creative inspiration with :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it just me or track 2 (F7) is VERY close to one of their previous track ? (can’t remember which one, but less than 5 years old).

1 Like

known(1) from Oversteps maybe ?

2 Likes

Totally ! Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah known(1) is one of favourites … might seem odd but it gets stuck in head and I walk round the house humming it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. Looks like a great app, and I love trackers, but I couldn’t get into it. I was just getting into Renoise at the time I found out about Sunvox and it seemed more my kind of thing.

Admittedly I guess it’s got a pretty transparent/characterless sound (in a good way) which is probably why it’s not easy to tell where Ae used it. But I guess that’s kinda my point. They’ll sound like Autechre no matter what they use.

yep…im a firm believe we all have our own sound palettes. sounds we will gravitate towards, sequences etc. making each person/band have “their sound”. doesn’t matter what he/she/they use.

1 Like

Yes I agree, whatever they use they sou d Autechre