A Guide to AUTECHRE

On the ae live thing I’ve been lucky enough to catch them 4 times… missed a couple because they were mid-week as part of a club night and I was opposite end of the country. First time was on the tour for Confield and it was pretty poor being honest… sound system was terrible and Edinburgh crowds are rarely much fun. Saw them at the famous Glasgow Art School gig in 05… it was as amazing as you’d expect but that wasn’t universal as my best pal was unimpressed as was my ex-partner - they seemed affronted by the pitch black and lack of show. 2016 at the Granada Studios in Manc was pretty special too.

Joking aside… that’s my tea of choice. Yorkshire is decent but Clipper is fantastic.

2 Likes

Finally released on bandcamp :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Indeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this contrast to their last two major releases is quite immense…really missed that side of them, especially in such weird times

I don’t kow if this is an official youtube account (I hope it is!)
But mostly everything is on youtube.

2 Likes

had a quick scrubby listen, definitely drifts off into more harmonic territory which seems like a while since they’ve gone there. first one since the early stuff I’ll likely pick up on vinyl, hopefully locally.

I often find autechre hard to stomach but I just find their approach and work ethic so admirable. their opinions and commentary are so interesting, always fascinating to read their interviews

I think if I was a full time artist itb would be so much more attractive, but with a computer job through the week it’s just a real put off

I like the comment about spending money in time rather than gear, totally agree

1 Like

I can’t speak for Autechre, but the small amount of soundtrack stuff I’ve done has been a nightmare when using hardware. If the client asks for a slight tweak to something and all you have is a stereo mix recorded from a spontaneous live jam on hardware… well let’s just say I learned that lesson early :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Currently listening for the 3rd time.

“F7” is pretty weird, feels like someone is hitting a keyboard in a live jam, there are weird notes/chords and timings. Like they trained an IA to play like me :smiley:
And they haven’t even cleaned up the mess!

2 Likes

This is awesome, thanks. All of their albums are on Bandcamp now. This is great news :blush:

Putting an untrained cat on a keyboard would sound better than me trying to play it.

Is it possible to train a cat to do anything other than meow for food and use a litter tray ? ( heading off to YouTube )

What a great record SIGN is. Really, really love the track Metaz form8.

Lovely stuff.

7 Likes

I haven’t read through this whole thread, but I did just listen to the new album. I really enjoyed it. Going to have to dig into the catalog on bandcamp now.

Funny, I always find their interviews to be half trolling half…You know…Yeah…( Sean lights a cig’ )…Sort of… :rofl:

i put some autechre in my latest mix.
with a bit of 808’s courtesy of janet jackson.
and the wikki wikki song.
enjoy.

1 Like

You’re in for a wild ride if you haven’t heard them before.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’m familiar with them, but I have not done a good job of putting in some listening sessions. I’m hoping to fix that now.

I haven’t really listened to them much since Incunabula back in the early 90s. Just listened to the new one today, and really enjoyed it! I like “psin AM“

Scroll up thread to all the Ae remixes I posted. They have TONS of stuff.

So much good stuff. Gescom :+1:t6:

1 Like

yeah those were really great discoveries for me

Funnily enough, for some reason it’s starting to be accepted by my ear…
IMO the track that has the biggest personality on this record.

I’ve just received the LP, sounds so much better at home!!