A Guide to AUTECHRE

Here a bunch of the supposedly leaked AE Max MSP patches from many years ago. The legend is that they were attending some Max workshops in SF and left some files on site:

Autechre.zip (55.1 KB)

3 Likes

Imagine just the knowledge these two geniuses have!

Interesting studio interview with The Fear Ratio - Mark Broom, James Ruskin from last month… good few Elektron boxes in there :slight_smile:

Thought I’d post this here with the SKAM link if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/p7TxWoBKxSg

I think that music isn’t about knowledge. Of course you need to know your tools but it has to do with experience and talent. The geniuses are passionate people.

Maybe but MaxMSP certainly is.

6 Likes

Max is a creative tool and not so hard to learn.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between knowledge and knowing your tools?

3 Likes

I mean that knowledge isn’t enough. Everybody can learn, experiment. Although when you know your tools or how they work doesn’t mean that you can play them
What’s your thoughts? Is it knowledge so important, to create music?

Sometimes it is better not to know :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is a bit off-topic, but: I have a lot of respect for creativity research that suggests that creativity (if that’s what you’re getting at) is generally defined by knowledge of your craft, knowledge of the creative process in itself, and favorable motivational factors.

So yeah, I believe knowledge in these three departments can help you get your creativity going, for those who doesn’t naturally master them. The idea of a naturally creative genius is very inspiring, but as far as I understand, this type of individuals are extremely rare.

2 Likes

I have this, so I know exactly what you mean!

1 Like

Without going to the stage of genius and without speaking of individuals without any knowledge either, I think that it is easier to be creative without supporting the straightjacket, the current fashion, the state of technical advancement, and the teaching of one discipline or another.
A certain number of designers, sculptors, photographers or musicians evoke the fact that it was quite difficult to unlearn in order to be able to create while others have a very long list of schools and training and are not handicapped by it. .
Some people need to listen/see a lot of work to move forward, others will be disturbed/hampered in what they produce.
Several types of creative individuals exist and some will need to know deeply everything related to their means of expression to be free, others not at all. Some aren’t more deserving or awesome than others, they’re just different.
If we know more those of the first category, it is in particular that they become more professional, and if we know less the others it is not necessarily that they are rare, it is above all that they’re way less popular or even uninterested in being, at least that’s how I see it.

3 Likes

I was only referring to their knowledge…not their creativity or intelligence! Making top notch music for 30+ yrs, knowing their gear inside out, using maxmsp since 1997… about those things!
Knowledge doesn’t make you a genius but it helps genius to make art consumable.
If knowledge was the biggest thing then university professors on art colleges would produce the best art. But still a relative knowledge is conditio sine qua non for any art imo

3 Likes

Knowlede is helpful but having excellent and original ideas is another topic

I think Autechre have knowledege yes but also brilliant and original ideas

Still nobody in 2022 has been able to replicate a beat like Tri Repetae or Chiastic Slide…

And those album were made with very basic hardware and instruments

5 Likes

Replicating their music wouldn’t be a testament to creativity…

1 Like

And yet them dropping a few sysex files pretty much doubles the value of the MnM and MD.

5 Likes

I assume a few of you are listening to this

https://www.amks.live/

Not autechre … but Skam and like autechre.

5 Likes

Ya 5:15:00 was SICK! I think that was either SDEM or NMB. I hope dude that posts those puts that last AMKS up.

2 Likes

Here it is…

9 Likes

That’s really touching. I attended a private farewell ceremony for here recently and it was quite heartbreaking. The connections she forged through the years went wide and varied. A very sad occasion indeed.

The full stream is apparently being processed and will be live [however long it takes to upload an 8 hour vid :thinking:]

1 Like