A Guide to AUTECHRE

booted up my old powerbook G4, nostalgia nostaelgia

GIF-2022-08-11-13-21-04

think the flash page is not stored tho…

it’ll probably end up being just a low res mp3 version edit of the original track anyhow.

dream over.

11 Likes

Jeg snakker ikke norsk.

For my Scandinaevians.

completely agree

3 Likes

This will take their song naming skills to another entire new level for sure.

1 Like

Someone posted this on the Autechre subreddit. I’ve never heard of this guy before but I’m really endeared by his initial reaction and how he tries to explain his experience (he’s coming at it from a classical music background, btw)

2 Likes

Ok, so I have been trying to get into Autechre for a while now and was on a long drive yesterday and decided to try again with limited luck I did hit Slip though and loved that track, so what are some others that have a similar melodic element?

You should give up imo
It’s simply (most probably) not your thing

3 Likes

Yeah AE only sometimes does explicit melody, more often in their early work (someone who remembers: when they called something from their early work “cheesy”, what was it?). From EP7 on, simple sequences are second to beats and are used in service to modulation abstraction and mood.

1 Like

Well, I do respect them being so dedicated to their musical ideology!

I would personally go for the Envane EP. It’s a bit more hip hop and they do make you really wait for the melodies and melodic basslines but the payoff is spectacular. It’s still my all-time favourite Autechre record to date. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Will check it out today. Thanks!

1 Like

It was Rob about Amber, but he said he didn’t really mean it.

Edit: Oops, actually about Incunabula. Thank you Wiki: AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM! - Page 48 - Autechre - We Are The Music Makers Forums

2 Likes

I’m not sure they have one, they say they just do what they like. But I guess that could be called an ideology :slight_smile:
If you haven’t heard it yet: VLetrmx has got one of the most beautiful (counter) melodies I know:

6 Likes

I find Oversteps to be quite melodic! Check out ‘known(1)’ or ‘see on see’

4 Likes

It was a recent AMA that Sean said they submitted records to Warp in line with what music Warp wanted to hear. I cant remember if he said it was Incunabula or Amber…

Well, anyway, for a group that is constantly pushing their own boundaries, I’m sure theyre going to feel a certain way about their first, 30 year old records.

2 Likes

Give these a go. Dunno if they’re what you’re after.

2 Likes
2 Likes

in just over a week latest version of Ae’s live patch will fill my ears for a few hours.

equally excited for Zoviet France, this album is mind blowing atmospheres.

4 Likes

If I had to start with Autechre today, I’d go straight to the NTS Sessions # 2.

2 Likes

See you there

2 Likes