A Guide to AUTECHRE

yeah quite beautiful

2 Likes

they pack lite! nice

Getting into them for the first time- just listened to Amber, moving onto Incunabula then Tri Repetae. Absolutely loving it so far! I canā€™t believe how good it sounds, I like it better than 90% of the electronic music I hear these days.

Iā€™m relatively new to this kind of music in general, maybe 5 years in. Itā€™s fascinating getting to listen to this stuff for the first time in 2022, really enjoying it!

12 Likes

Strap in for the later stuff!

4 Likes

Lucky bugger.

Hearing Confield for the first time was one of the best days of my life. Iā€™d love to do it again.

14 Likes

im jealousā€¦id love to start over again. It was so much fun finding them back in the day. I was on the hunt for 808state UTD 90ā€¦and stumbled on Incunubula. my listening trajectory took a whole new path.

have fun edit ā€˜personā€™ ! Ae are something else. [dont forget to do the Gescom stuff in tandem, date wise]

2 Likes

LP5 was my first. Heard it playing in a record store. Then Confield. Have been addicted ever since.

2 Likes

early 2001, had a great hash spliff outside college and went upto the computer room onto warp.net, a mad flash Confield graphic with exclusive web version of VI Scose Poise came through my headphones. mind was totally transported, has really stuck with me that moment and would love to hear that version of the track again. (but think itā€™s lost foreverā€¦?)

warp interview from that time: autechre qa 2001 - Pastebin.com

9 Likes

This is oddly similar to my own experience.

I wish theyā€™d put more space between the lines. I could still read several sentences before having to scroll.

Made a point of listening to this on the ride home from work yesterday. The first track (VI Scose Poise) blew my mind. It sounded like a mosquito composing music, it was sublime.

From my limited exposure to them, this is the most ā€œchallengingā€ and ā€œdifficultā€ track Iā€™ve heard yet, and I loved it.

Again, blown away that itā€™s 2001 and sounds better and more unique than so much other music I hear today. Canā€™t wait to listen to more.

4 Likes

I once played Bine off of Confield at a house party when I was at University. It was great because it let me know in an instant who the interesting people to talk to were.

3 Likes

Welp I know what Iā€™m listening to next!

If I was in your luxurious position, I would take them all in order, including the EPs (which are some of their tightest, most enjoyable work imo). You wonā€™t get a second chance at this, ever!

Just note that each one takes a lot of listens to hear all the nuances. Hell, Iā€™m still finding new sounds in stuff Iā€™ve heard 100s of times.

And I donā€™t know if others do this, but I often listen to a track and focus on one thing (like a hi-hat) and try to follow its changes throughout a track. They are fucking masters of modulation.

8 Likes

Yup. Takes me many, many listens to penetrate their albums, too. Thatā€™s one of the things I love about their work. Have only just made a dent in Sign. NTS Sessions is a long ways off yet.

1 Like

I havenā€™t touched anything (or barely anything) of the four-hour-long stuff. Right now and for the last year or so, Sign is the business for me. Iā€™m content to hang there until I fancy something different.

1 Like

The closest comparable thing Iā€™ve found in terms of a listening experience is Miles Davis. Around that Bitches Brew period and forwards.

If Iā€™m not alone in this - which would be fair as theyā€™re not sonically similar - these 4 x 1970 shows where he opened for the Dead are my current go-to when I take a pause from Autechre: 4.9 ā€“ 4.12.1970 Fillmore West ā€“ the Heat Warps

6 Likes

70s Miles, free jazz or Autechre make up pretty much 80% of my workout soundtrack. There are a lot of parallels to make, though Ive seen Ae shrug-off the comparison. The more intense the better because if I stop to think about how much I loathe working out, Iā€™ll quit then and there.

2 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s my remedy for working out. I pretty much hate it. Only biking I can stand.
ā€¦
@iamconsume @xidnpnlss ae, miles and freejazz share things thatā€™s for sure

1 Like

found this, apparently it was called: VI CODE SPOILSE

https://web.archive.org/web/20010301195857/http://www.warprecords.com/

think it threw me that i forgot it was warprecords.com back then

can anyone with internet archaeology skills (and flash use) access this anywhere?

http://www.myslb.com

doing my own archaeology resulted in this, still after that really low quality mp3 tho, that will probably end up being really underwhelming. if anyone gets in on the next AMA ask for HQ versions of the promo vid and VI Code Spoilse please.

2 Likes