A Guide to AUTECHRE

I know! Was thinking this the other day. I still subconsciously consider this one of their recent ones for some reason

4 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boatā€¦ itā€™s making me feel like even more of an old duffer knowing that itā€™s now 20 years old. I really donā€™t remember when I started listening to them but this was the album that had me going from ā€œyeah, theyā€™re a pretty good bandā€ to ā€œjings, theyā€™re best evar!!!1!!1!!!ā€ā€¦

Surripere is my favourite from the album and definitely in my top ten of all their stuffā€¦

8 Likes

forgot i uploaded this, trash sound from my iphone5c, but damn i loved this gig, one of the ones that didnā€™t get a soundboardā€¦ i just remember there being so much space in this set, i remember some basslines using stereo to spin around the room. raw shit

1 Like

I like the facial expressions in the first 5 minutes. Like palette of different levels of repulsion, reluctance and wtf (sorry-not-sorry :smiley:)

2 Likes

I really like Autechre but i donā€™t listen to them very often. Over the years their production got more complex and abstract. At least that how it seems to me. And whenever i listen to the newer songs thereā€™s this one question coming up in my mind and then it vanishes again and iā€™m consumed by the music.

So iā€™m asking myself how much of their music is produced meticulously bar for bar and how much is created by randomized functions and methods. It probably varies from song to song. But what are you thinking about it? If you think about it at all because i aIso feel like Autechreā€™s music is here just to listen to it and not to analyze it. But i still want to understand the production somehow. Thatā€™s just my nerdy musical brain. :nerd_face:

From what Iā€™ve read/seen in various interviews and AMAs over the years, only a couple of tracks on Confield were generative. The rest is all programmed and requires their input to trigger/effect/evolve things as tracks progress. They claim they never let a computer simply spit out random shit and then select and arrange the randomly good moments. Itā€™s way more deliberate than that. The WATMM mega AMAs and Seanā€™s recent Twitch streams answering questions are well worth investigating for more info.

2 Likes

Where was this? I went to the Brixton date around this time

Yeah Brixton. Might of been the final show of the 14/15 live patch. But donā€™t quote me on that.

1 Like

Does anyone know some good quality bootlegs of Autechre live shows?

From the 90s and early 2000s would be best, they released so much stuff that I still havenā€™t worked my way up to their newer stuff.

I read somewhere about a slower live version of ā€œFlutterā€. God, I would love to hear that.

Thereā€™s fucking loads.

Not come across that one myself, but thereā€™s thisā€¦

4 Likes

Cool, thanks!
I didnā€™t have the Sonar one! (oh, sound is awful, thoughā€¦)

Thatā€™s lovely, thank you!

1 Like

Just discovered

5 Likes

These guys are great, some tracks work better than others though. I liked this set in particular. Some balls to attempt tracks such as See on see :fire:

4 Likes

Sort of cover, I love this one

1 Like