A Guide to AUTECHRE

Two of my favorite releases along with Gantz Graf and Untilted. Definitely vibe with early ‘00 Ae.

3 Likes

Love love love track 2 ‘Clipper’ from Tri Repartae. Was the first track of theirs I fell for in my teens. That bassline, pad thing that comes in at 1:45 is :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

10 Likes

I don’t if this happens for anybody else, but this forum software does something weird with embedded YouTube videos. When I pause videos and keep scrolling the page, checking out other YT vids, sometimes the ones I had on pause will all start playing at once.

Usually this is annoying, but in an Autechre thread, 3-4 of their songs playing at once can actually sound pretty decent. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ya Clipper is awesome. Eutow! Cipater!

3 Likes

My wife came with me to see Autechre in 1995 on the tri repetae tour at the wheatsheaf in stoke, she didn’t understand any of it, everybody sat on the floor in the dark, and then one guy got up and started doing some weird dancing, she didn’t come to a gig with me again until Richie Hawtin in 2018 !!!

13 Likes

Hahaha. Saw them twice. First time in London around the Confield era (I think). Blacked out stage, two blue lights on their monitors the only thing visible. People danced, but every time a transition happened, everyone stopped and looked around at each other like ‘is this danceable?’ Second time was at Blok festival when they still did them at holiday camps. My most vivid memory of that was 4-5 mins of the heaviest kick I’ve ever heard in my life, followed by a blast of white noise, kick, snare, kick, snare, over and over. By far the most simple and effect thing I’ve ever witnessed for completely ruining a PA (in a good way).

2 Likes

Saw them 4x. Three times in LA and once in SF. The last show I drove from SF to LA to watch with my buddy down there. And JUST missed getting caught in the mudslide up in the Grapevine. Had to drive back for the show in SF the following morning. Had to leave at 8am cuz the Grapevine was closed and took PCH. It took 11hours to drive back. [normally a 5-6 hour drive]
Picked up my girl from home and made it to the show. [she didn’t like it :slight_smile: ] The show was at the Mezz and Ae’s music was too much for their sound system. It didn’t sound NEARLY as good as the night before in LA at the Fonda.

4 Likes

That’s great… I don’t think my SO would be able to handle an Autechre show… About as much as we cross over music-wise is Mighty Mighty Bosstones, which is pretty far off my radar in general, and Misfits.

I was able to see them (Autechre) in 2008 in Brooklyn, it was an amazing show. Thankfully the person I was suppose to go with ditched, so I sold that ticket (they would have been a buzzkill anyway…) and my friends from Detroit who were into techno came with instead. It was perfect because the set was definitely more “dance”-oriented, and of course completely pitch-black.

Easily one of my favorite all-time shows. I’ve been trying to find a bootleg of the show for years but haven’t been able to just yet.

3 Likes

If you ever get a chance…Meat Beat live…SO AWESOME. so much bass! The visuals are so good! First saw them somewhere between 89-91 when they opened for 808 state. (Can’t find the listing) it was AMAZING.
(at The Spectrum in Montreal)

1 Like

It was nearly 25 years ago and even I thought it was a bit weird at the time !!!:grinning:

There used to be a shop in Vancouver that was called Odyssey Imports…they allowed you to listen to CDs before you bought em.

I went in looking for stuff like 808 State.
I asked the guy for recommendations…they put Fila Brazillia - Old Codes, New Chaos, The Infinite Wheel - Infinite Wheel and Autechre - Incunabula in my hands…Ae floored me.

The reason I remember SO clearly is that that Ae record was just so amazing.
Still is.

That was 1994 :grimacing::+1:t6:

1 Like

Way back in the day Tunes in Hoboken NJ used to do that; I found a bunch of singles from Prodigy, Portishead, Chemical Brothers and all the other stuff I was listening to in the late ‘90s.

1 Like

I find it really interesting that you guys were searching out a lot of stuff that was coming out of the UK

1 Like

Where all the good shit was coming from.

Propaganda was my gateway to electronic music. Took me to ZTT which took me to TommyBoy, and the search for electronic music began. When I found WARP, Pork, Brainwashed and TVT I was in heaven :slight_smile: (Matador)

It’s funny how house and techno etc originated in the US but then through the 90’s etc there didn’t seem to be much coming out of the states for many years, it seems the general public didn’t really cotton on to it

1 Like

Well I didn’t know anyone who was into that stuff, so the only place I could find out about that sort of thing was late-night MTV sometimes, Much Music in Canada, and The Box, and most of the interesting stuff they played was from the UK.

1 Like

Considering the relatively low population of the UK compared to behemoths like the US, China, Russia, India etc, I feel incredibly proud of the amount of great music we’ve given to the world from The Beatles to Radiohead and Autechre and everything in between. Don’t get me wrong, I fucking can’t stand most Brits abroad (I’ve spent many years outside of the country), but musically speaking imo only Iceland has a similar story population wise versus musical output in the last 60 years or so. :blush:

9 Likes

i would be inclined to agree! also Iceland! very true! (and in the more obscure jazz circles, i’d say Norway!)

1 Like

OH SHIT…been so long…but so good.
[starts at the right spot]

I LOVE ramped ratchets

OH SHIT…this one too!

3 Likes

New Autechre shows up at their Bleep store.

The Grateful Dead of electronic music. Don’t at me. :sunglasses:

8 Likes