A live album of 90s style IDM made with Syntakt + Korg NS5R (including a cover of Eggshell by Autechre)

Recorded at a New Year’s Eve party at a friend’s metalworking warehouse. Nothing too complex, just some reasonably chill tunes in the style of using muting and unmuting tracks for variation :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Instant purchase.

How many tracks of the Syntakt were you typically using for the NS5R?

Any tips for this pairing?

1 Like

looking forward to having a listen. Loved your demos with the cycles

1 Like

Most patterns only used a single NS5R sound, usually just pads. I mostly kept it to single sounds because the effects engine, while very good, is global rather than per sound. I’m fine with using it like that, because I usually only need a single lush polyphonic sound per pattern.

As for tips, not sure really! I originally planned to use my Nord Rack 2X, but went for the NS5R instead because it’s more compact. It responds quite well to program changes, though sometimes modified sounds don’t save properly (?) so I had to rehearse the set a few times to make sure the sounds were being loaded correctly. Not sure what was going on there, it sounded like some ADSR parameters weren’t being restored correctly.

Oooh very, very curious to check this out.

Especially interested to hear the NS5R, considering you picked that over the Nord. Quite a cute looking module. I wonder how much editing is in there compared to the M1.

How did the set go from your side? And how did it feel to introduce the Ae track?

:black_heart:

Also do check out the Tapes for mates stuff as there is probably some stuff in there you might be into, certainly coming from 90’s references.

1 Like

Each voice has two layers, with some decent sounding filters and a few modulation/envelope options for pitch etc. Pretty much everything can be edited from the front panel, which I found pretty amazing. It’s a bit fiddly but not as much as you’d expect. Lots of sounds! Most of the time, the presets are good enough, but I modified a few with attack/release more appropriate for my use case.

It was a pretty chill event, basically just playing some tunes to friends. My friend who rents the warehouse puts on parties every few months and anyone who wants to play can get up and either DJ or play a live set :slight_smile: I don’t think anyone really noticed the Ae track, mostly because it was early evening, the sun was still out and people were still in more of a chatty mood than a “pay attention to the music” mood, which was fine by me!

1 Like

I bet you noticed that Ae track, gotta feel good.

The Korg stuff, even with some basic parameter changes sounds really good. I was definitely surprised by that myself only owning a small batch of Roland gear until more recent years, Korg stuff really has a great sound. Thx, will definitely look into it.

Mates warehouse sounds like a superb approach, that’s a really decent way to do it. Shame your so far away id pop round.

1 Like

Ahh yeah gotcha. Yeah it was something I just kinda fell into when preparing the set; I was already in the mood for 90s IDM and thought I might as well try to replicate something from that era :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally got a chance to properly listen to this… really good stuff! Combining the ST with a 90s rompler gives it early Bola vibes and I mean that in the best possible way. Some of the sounds you’ve programmed are cracking… I mean if there was a Vague Robots sound pack of this sort of stuff I’d be first in line for it!

2 Likes

Thank you! I haven’t made a sound pack in a while, maybe I’ll get onto it soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was belting. My daughter started bouncing up and down in her playpen as soon as I put it on! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

High quality stuff as I have come to expect. Nice work!

1 Like

After a few listens through, I think “hikari star” is the best track. The combination of the pad and ‘tropical’ percussion is priceless.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Glad it’s resonating, it’s a fun genre to write.

Yeah the Syntakt is really quite good at tropical percussion; I don’t care if SY TOY becomes a cliche, I’ve always loved those kinds of sounds.

If you’re interested, the original version of Hikari Star was on an album of mine from a while back—minus the tropical percussion but with a B section later on:

All Nanoloop 2 on GBA with KP3+ for effects.

1 Like