A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

No poly-aftertouch or advanced touch keyboard synths or controllers so far. Right ?

I mean, there’s Super Gemini!

2 Likes

The video I saw said it was a collaboration with 112db. One of the founders of that company is Martijn Zwartjes who made steampipe 2 and a bunch of other stuff when he worked for NI. Took a class from him at CalArts, seriously brilliant dude

8 Likes

Thank you !! I had missed that.

From a short Synthtopia First Look article :

The UDO Super Gemini is an instrument that promises high-end build quality, a flexible synth engine, an interface that takes inspiration from the classic Yamaha CS-80, and a wide range of performance capabilities, including hands-on control, polyphonic aftertouch and a ribbon controller.

Wow, big news! Tone sincere.

1 Like

Wow, I was really close to buying an alpha base a month ago, but decided on the perkons instead. Smart move on my part!

2 Likes

You can never have too many drum machines.

9 Likes

Suggested elsewhere:

Ah OK, in which case USB-A is an unusual choice.

And if you have a computer readily available then you might as well just use Ableton :upside_down_face:

Not sure what I’d expect though tbh but it seems odd

1 Like

I assumed that you would pair it with a mixer, like using a multitrack tape in the olden days.

Novation… Novation… Novation.

10 Likes

korg pa600 is old and no replacement to see. come in 2033 i think.

really tough to say what is most exciting from this year’s superbooth, there are a million things i would buy in a heartbeart, its kind of overwhelming. but this korg phase-5 might be it

i was hoping it would be in the NTS $200 range, but it looks bigger than i imagined, which makes practical sense i guess

imagine this instrument in a nts-1 sized box. would be too dinky to be worth it probably, with smaller tines than a thumb kalimba

2 Likes

i predict this will be expensive

5 Likes

Don’t expect it to be necessarily low priced if it is made of a lot of sensors. For example, the Haken Continuum contains several hundreds of sophisticated sensors and this largely explains its multi-k price. A company like Korg will of course be able to source their components at a lower price than a boutique company. Nevertheless, this looks like an interesting and promising product.

2 Likes

i think acoustic synth is boring. is like electric piano with more edit but have limit to be synth.

Right now, that’s what it looks like. Be interesting to see how it develops.

yes it can be good in new electric piano i think

Thank you again for posting this! Not sure how else I would have found it. :pray:

1 Like

No worries. I was keeping an eye out for it myself & I’m quite surprised by the lack of coverage tbh

1 Like