A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

For me this is one of the most interesting and nicest sounding synths I’ve heard since the MEGAfm tbh. A lot of the usual polysynths these days don’t quite stand out much to me but this has so much interesting harmonic and layered stuff going on, it has a very curious organic sound to it. The sound demo Cuckoo plays at 28:48 is well worth a listen -

It feels like a synth that Daniel Lopatin (Oneohtrix Point Never) would love.

6 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. Haven’t seen anything on it yet……

Edit : and here it is
https://youtu.be/NkjonhgkEeE

Alpha Base MK2

11 Likes

Well aaaaaaaaaaaaaactually it was 4 years, they released the oasys as a pci card for PC in 1999.

The PCI card was just a derivative, absent the controller hardware, though it was indeed the first commercial product to actually bear the name OASYS. The first derivative products were released much earlier than that: Prophecy (1995) and Z1 (1997) were both born from the OASYS project, which had apparently started in 1991.

It appears that even the 2005 release was the result of a different vision than the original concept. The Z1 may therefore have been closest to the original OASYS keyboard vision.

In the end, it is also intriguing how short-lived the actual OASYS keyboard was (4 years), that is compared to its successor (Kronos, 11 years). Something with that product name that didn’t click? Nevertheless, a lot of great synths were born out of this project.

was this posted?

wow, this really is gorgeous. something about the super 6 demos never satisfied whatever part of my brain decides it needs a piece of gear but i love these sounds near the end

it must be more than just dual 6’s, right? i thought i heard someone say that in one of the superbooth videos

2 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

This has me wondering how hard this’ll be to build - I’ve done a few eurorack modules but nothing this extensive.

1 Like
4 Likes

…after seeing this, the wish to have a Perfourmer is back.

5 Likes

Nice find.

1 Like

This is still pretty early. There’s a lot that’s not implemented yet. But this is super interesting to me. It’s actually pretty close to how I would want a sampler to be laid out if I had any say in the matter.

11 Likes

What I don’t understand is how do you connect the Expander to the meloDICER? You only see two MIDI cables connected in the MIDI In and Out. Is it from the inside?

1 Like

Usually this gets handled by putting a connector in the back. Someone probably had the possibility of a MIDI interface in mind when this product was first designed, hence there is some sort of connector already on the back of the meloDICER.

This does look very useful. The meloDICER is a useful/ fun module to begin with. I’d vote for a rev change to bring the MIDI controls onboard, but perhaps the meloDICER is too low volume a product to justify this.

3 Likes

Thanks @Jukka!

2 Likes

SWEnigiser, copy of the Orgon Systems Enigiser – from Analog Sweden

A bit unusual single oscillator mono synth. Often used for techno. There was something like only 100 originals made.

This may have the record for an interviewer in disbelief. “What ?”

Choice of prices with two versions of DIY kits, and a ready built version.

This will be interesting for someone out there. I can definitely see this being fun to use, in Eurorack with the CV controls. Good job Alter Audio.

Please no more, now way overdone jokes about the name !