A4 for the color-blind chaps

Anyone else having a hard time distinguishing the amber color of the channel lights from the red and/or green?

Yes, it’s very annoying.

yep. red green deficient.
I see the red LEDs fine, but trying to tell the amber from the green is tricky for me. Also, I find the red text on the black faceplate near invisible.

i think users should have a choice of 2 illumination modes for differing ambient conditions - when it’s dark i’d like to see the dimmed red be even dimmer - i also struggle to discern the amber, i think elektron might have tuned that a bit better (or pulse active trk led) … best to learn the shortcuts than try to read the red on black font ; - ]

while we’re on it - the upper row of mini keys should’ve been lighter than black (on black) (esp in dark)

I hear you fellas.

And although A) it’s good to know I ain’t alone, and B) my intent wasn’t to just bitch about Elektron’s color choices, it has occurred to me there seem to be FAR more gentlemen than ladies using Elektron products. Since color blindness is expressed in men many times more often than women, it would prove a wise move by HQ to keep color choices like those mentioned above in mind for the design team in the future.

Hello,

Yes, I also agree about the amber v. green issue. I am having the same problem on my Machinedrum and my friend’s Octatrack. I contacted the US arm of Elektron and unfortunately the news wasn’t so good. I’ll quote:

“I am though so sorry to say we have no way of helping you out here. First of all, we have not looked into if those LEDs actually exists. It is not like picking any color from a chart. Also, the time involved for us to fix this is really not something we have available. Also, any kind of 3rd party modification would void warranty. I am so sorry. I wish there was some way to handle this but I really cant think of any. I know that we have had 1 or 2 requests in the past about this during our now 15 year existence but for us as a company to act on those numbers is not really possible, I hope you understand that.”

He was very apologetic but they obviously do not have an official solution. It is unfortunate of course, because even if they only have had 1 or 2 direct requests, I am sure that this issue effects many users.

I hate to void my warranty but also want to be able to better use the machine. Has anyone done any ‘hacking’ research as to what types of LEDs these are or how one might go about replacing them?

Cheers, DS

I am having similar problems on the OT, gives me some headaches and is less enjoying to work with.
At least I know I am not alone my friends :sob:

Although I do not have these issues, a sincerely feel for you and perhaps my visual artist background as a “colorist” could be of help in something to try?!
As far as being able to discern the red on black in especially low or no lighting situations you might try seeing how one of those fluorescent or even now LED “Black Light Tubes” help you out. What that will do is make the red stand out as well as any other lettering. You will also be able to discern dim versus bright red, and hopefully the amber a bit easier. The green will look brighter as well.
Now, in a similar manner, trying different light sources, even if it means those cheap incandescent “Party Bulbs” of various colors…anything but red or yellow for you color blind folk. I would firstly experiment with the above suggestion using the cheap incandescent “Black Light Bulb” because it causes other colors in spectrum, except deep blues, to more or less pop out and ~perhaps~ it may be just enough to distinguish.
I had seen this post earlier in week and had to really think about it and no guarantees but heck, it sure would be great if it helped you all out!!
If it does work, then you can look at some various “DJ Lighting” that is totally LED based in which you can actually change the color to your liking over your area.
Please let me know how this goes and I would almost BET most of us probably have a “Black Light” somewhere.
OH!! They ALSO come in the new CFL twisted bulbs and produce much less heat than regular incandescent “Black Lights” and UNLIKE those older bulbs, the glass itself through and through has the pigment, as opposed to just a thin coating, meaning a more intense spectrum. I know, I just placed three of the CFL ones in the ugly light sockets in ceiling fan above my dining room;)
Lastly, as far as the black mini keys on black–this would be directly related to using a “Black Light” (really ultraviolet spectrum)…you could simply get some UV Dye or a UV DYE-based Marker, which is actually a good thing for all musicians to have to place unique identifying marks that *are not seen under any light BUT "Black Light…so you would not see your marking of a circle around perimeter of each mini key ON the key or case by day, but will look really cool under your new A4 Flashlight!!
Really hope this helps. Some of this comes from some of the things I did in Dept. of Defense and my obsession with color in other work.

i’m okay for the most part with the whole aesthetic and legibility, especially when you get used to it, even the amber - i think the trigless locks could be a lot dimmer relative to trigs, that’s something Elektron could do for free !

Although I do not have these issues, a sincerely feel for you and perhaps my visual artist background as a “colorist” could be of help in something to try?!
As far as being able to discern the red on black in especially low or no lighting situations you might try seeing how one of those fluorescent or even now LED “Black Light Tubes” help you out. What that will do is make the red stand out as well as any other lettering. You will also be able to discern dim versus bright red, and hopefully the amber a bit easier. The green will look brighter as well.
Now, in a similar manner, trying different light sources, even if it means those cheap incandescent “Party Bulbs” of various colors…anything but red or yellow for you color blind folk. I would firstly experiment with the above suggestion using the cheap incandescent “Black Light Bulb” because it causes other colors in spectrum, except deep blues, to more or less pop out and ~perhaps~ it may be just enough to distinguish.
I had seen this post earlier in week and had to really think about it and no guarantees but heck, it sure would be great if it helped you all out!!
If it does work, then you can look at some various “DJ Lighting” that is totally LED based in which you can actually change the color to your liking over your area.
Please let me know how this goes and I would almost BET most of us probably have a “Black Light” somewhere.
OH!! They ALSO come in the new CFL twisted bulbs and produce much less heat than regular incandescent “Black Lights” and UNLIKE those older bulbs, the glass itself through and through has the pigment, as opposed to just a thin coating, meaning a more intense spectrum. I know, I just placed three of the CFL ones in the ugly light sockets in ceiling fan above my dining room;)
Lastly, as far as the black mini keys on black–this would be directly related to using a “Black Light” (really ultraviolet spectrum)…you could simply get some UV Dye or a UV DYE-based Marker, which is actually a good thing for all musicians to have to place unique identifying marks that *are not seen under any light BUT "Black Light…so you would not see your marking of a circle around perimeter of each mini key ON the key or case by day, but will look really cool under your new A4 Flashlight!!
Really hope this helps. Some of this comes from some of the things I did in Dept. of Defense and my obsession with color in other work.[/quote]
Great ideas - I’m going to pick up a blacklight bulb and give it a go - cheers!

I’ve struggled with this issue ever since I picked up an old Notron sequencer. They use Red/Green/Orange LEDs to distinguish a lot of different (and important) states. Changing the overall ambient lighting is about the only thing that helped somewhat and usually I end up stepping an LED through the colors until it is off (then I know red is next).

On the Sequentix P3, I ended up swapping out the standard Red/Green/Orange LEDs for a Blue/White/Yellow one. More expensive, draws a bit more current, and of course I had to manually edit the documentation to match, but after playing around with some slightly different resistor values, I was able to have a 3-state LED that even I could distinguish in any lighting.

So, in all probability you can swap out LEDs, but if they’re surface mount and have surface mount resistors controlling the drive current, it would be a huge job.

I really wish gear manufacturers would realize this issue, spend a bit more for different LEDs, and also do away with any bright blue LEDs. I don’t know if it affects non color challenged people the same way, but they hurt me after any time with them. Part of the reason I sold my PolyEvolver was the amount of blue LEDs. It gave me headaches using it for any length of time.

I don’t get headaches, but they leave really bad sun spots on my retina.
If I go from even glancing at a bright blue LED to looking at a bright surface such as a white wall or computer screen I have annoying yellow smears in my field of vision that persist for the next 5 or so minutes.

Looks like these might help:

http://o2amp.com/

more info = http://io9.com/5981916/how-mark-changizis-weird-theory-on-human-vision-helped-him-conquer-colorblindness-with-eyewear

With you guys… I often have a hard time distinguishing between the led colors.

If I were to try a fix:

An easy, cheap and reversible way of fixing the LED colors would probably be buying a colored translucent film, similar to what they use for adjusting lighting color in photo/video applications.

They’re commonly called lighting gels or color gels.

Just stick some of that stuff in front of your LED’s, and it will change the color to something that red/blue deficient types can distinguish more easily.

Of course, some research on what the optimal color gel would be is needed. But I think that’s not too sensitive.

Interesting.
Would need to read up on it first before splashing out £££ on a pair of what look like very dated sunglasses, and it doesn’t look like there is anywhere in the UK to try them on.
Definitely interested in finding out more about them though, so thanks for the link!

I took part in a trial of similar lenses in the 90s. The hyper-real colours put me off and the lenses were very expensive.
I’ve had some success with those disposable red/green 3d glasses but you have to keep one eye closed depending on which colour you’re trying to identify. Which is tiring and makes you look like a blinking idiot.

I just wanted to chime in that I am color blind, and have difficulties with the lights too. Just in case the Electron folks are counting “unofficial” requests - for possible future products.

Blue LEDs are actually super bad for your eyes and can cause retina damage. I also hope manufacturers of all products realize this and quit putting them in everything.

http://m.livescience.com/31949-led-lights-eye-damage.html

I have to put gaffer tape over blue LEDs, especially on my Behringer guitar pedals, otherwise they’re so bright that I can’t see the print or even the notches on the knobs when I’m playing a gig. Ridiculous!