A4mkII - MIDI Capabilities

Hey all!

Digitakt+Digitone own here, pondering getting an A4mkII at some point soon. I have a couple questions regarding it’s MIDI capabilities (these questions apply to the OTmkII, as well) :

-Does the arpeggiator work on MIDI tracks?
-Do slide trigs?
-Do retrigs/ratchets/repeats?

Thanks so much! :partying_face:

1 Like

Talkin about the A4 here :

-Nope
-Nope
-Nope

Sadly.
And there’s no midi track on the A4, and no ratchets too.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! And dang! That’s a bummer :frowning:

Ah, I may be using the wrong terminology here, my apologies. (My only elektron experience is with the digi’s thus far)

I think I’m referring to parameter slides (sliding/slewing from one p-locked value to another)

1 Like

Still, it’s a beast.

1 Like

Not a midi beast though.

2 Likes

That’s right. You can send program changes, and use a track to send notes ( never tried it yet, it’s complex nature require time to master )

1 Like

Can the octatrack do these things via midi? I’m likely placing too much importance on this aspect of each box, but I’m quite enamored with the elektron sequencer/workflow and want to use it everywhere on everything, hah! :yum:

1 Like

I don’t have it, but it’s known as the elektron midi beast

1 Like

OT : yes for the arpeggiator, it also has midi tracks. I don’t think you can do retrigs via midi though. And also, slide trigs don’t work with midi. I believe the only Elektron box with midi slide trigs is the Monomachine.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha! Thank ye kindly for the info.

This lessens my GAS for an octratrack a little bit, along with the fact that the crossfader doesn’t work for MIDI stuffs.

A4mkII still seems awesome, and the RYTM would be wayyyyy more tempting if there were more modulation options (lfo’s, envelopes, etc…)

1 Like

Hrmm…

It could be that the sequencer I’m looking for is, well… Renoise! (Which I already own). I do have a polyend tracker that I quite like, wish it was a bit more powerful, but still fun.

Gonna try M8 headless on my steam deck soon. If I dig it I’ll try to grab a real M8 if I can find one available.

Hapax looks interesting but does a TON of things I don’t think I need. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but, ya know…)

If the Digitakt had retrigs/slide trigs over MIDI, that’d be just incredible. Seems unlikely to happen, though.

The sequencer quest continues…!!

1 Like

Watching more vids, perhaps the hapax could fit the bill. Gonna do some more research :face_with_monocle:

Why not the Pyramid ? Or the Oxi One ? These two are really great.

1 Like

I think eaves (or someone) did a really good side by side comparison between the digitone and the a4 mkII, I watched the whole thing, it answered a lot of my questions about the differences between the 2 devices and their limitations and strong points. I’ll see if I can find it real quick…

yeah, here it is: sorry, I still can’t figure out how to imbed a youtube video on this forum but here’s the link.

Make sure you have 42 minutes of free time, and a pencil.

This was also very helpful to me @eaves thank you.

2 Likes

Share - Copy - Paste

4 Likes

that was literally so easy it was counterintuitive. thanks

4 Likes

This is a great vid, thanks shigginpit!

1 Like

I think between those three (hapax/oxi/pyramid) that the first two are the most enticing.

Between the hapax and the oxi - I prefer the form factor of the hapax. Two screens, more buttons/encoders… I will do more research, though!

You can lock the midi lfos for some parameter sliding on the DT… M8 is my favorite midi sequencer currently, very quick to work with once you get used to it.

1 Like