Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

I can only speak for myself but I haven’t owned a car in over 20 years.

2 Likes

To be fair to CDs, they still beat streaming if you’re listening to Autechre’s Elseq on repeat:

Source

4 Likes

While Benn seems like a nice chap, he also orders cheap Chinese gimmicks from probably Amazon to review in his video’s. There’s a video of him going through a bunch of “cheap christmas toys to make music with.”

1 Like

Where do you find loseless streaming?

That’s a very fair point but IMHO it doesn’t completely negate his arguments against vinyl records. Ultimately, it’s all down to personal choice. That is until all our homes are on fire or under water.

1 Like

I buy my music mostly second hand.
Maybe 8-10 new albums a year.

I also took my last flight in 2014 and am vegan. The biggest impact a human being can have on their own carbon foot print is stopping eating meat and flying. Buying a couple of vinyl albums a year is nothing compared to that.

I also own a second hand pop culture shop in Finland and I can confirm what Henke is saying is true. Cd is coming back big time. For some people it never went away and for a sizeable portion of music hobbyists it has become the only valid option as vinyl climbs in price.

I agree on some points about vinyl being stupid and unecological but for me it’s mostly the represses they make for Record Store Day etc. Nobody needs a repress of the Back To The Future soundtrack, you can buy that album from any flea market for 4€. Still they’re making them because clueless people don’t know how to go to flea markets anymore. There’s no need of reprints of very common 80s blockbuster albums.

We sell mostly vinyl but every month it’s a close call what comes second in our cash register reports. Sometimes it’s books, sometimes comics but more often it’s been cds. It’s clearly one of the most popular types of items bought from my shop.

The internet’s and streaming services carbon footprint is just huge and it’s a lie to claim that streaming is somehow the ecological way of listening to music. Buying digital or second hand is way more ecological.

17 Likes

Some of us live in places without public transportation. I’d love to ditch my car. I’d also need to double my salary at minimum to live comfortable in a major US city.

1 Like

never owned a car in my life…walk or public transportation.

3 Likes

So far this is the only response that resonates with me.
Recycling is just putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.
Humanity is deep into consumption addiction and we passed the point of no return.
Only a massive disaster wiping out our petty desires will save the few ready to survive, if possible at all.
I’ll be cuing up my vinyl and taking some drugs when the whole place starts to go up in flames.

4 Likes

Doom consumption is a real problem too.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Indeed, just like saying electric cars are green. They are not. But somehow the green washing works.

Buying digital or second hand is way more ecological.

The problem with digital files is that people just don’t know how to maintain them in the long run. I don’t blame them, I’m tech-savvy and it’s still a tricky question and I only manage to maintain my own digital collection because I buy SSDs every year. Hence the cloud, to which people can offload this responsibility. But they only get the illusion that their stuff is safe. It’s not.

1 Like

I’m actually VERY optimistic about it.
All those “primitive” folk born in the jungle who have vast plant knowledge, can build shelter out of thin air, and find food easily will probably survive to tell the tale of the rest of us.

3 Likes

Henke will probably be patching :rofl:

That is if we don’t cut their jungles flat. Just like we do in Brasil.

1 Like

Exactly!
They might get lucky tho and well fuck it up sooner than later.
And even still, if nothing is left, they are still ready and fully equipped with survival knowledge.
The DJ’s are certainly screwed

The survival of the planet is not dependant on the survival of the human race. We are expendable meat bags.

6 Likes

If it does happen in our lifetimes, it’ll be the most exciting thing any of us witness

1 Like

Shelter out of thin air? Sure… It can and most likely will become hellish in big cities when big catastrophes happen but ppl in rural areas will be relatively fine. Depends of course what the situation is.

One doesn’t have to be born in the jungle to learn how to hunt, farm, find food and survive.

Where do you think these “flames” will be coming from?

Speak for yourself buddy :rofl:

3 Likes