Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

And I thought I was a miserable git.

4 Likes

Okay. :slight_smile: Out of curiosity, what do you think is so dope about CD’s?
Sure one can make cool packages for any kind of physical releases but I fail to see how it makes the actual disk any more or less interesting unless its somehow actually special, like for example Soisong have released those octagonal CD’s etc. and even then I dunno…

2 Likes

Robert Henke just has a vegetable garden that’s why he wants the cd to come back,
he hates birds.

9 Likes

This talk of vinyls enviromental burden is silly. It’s a niche product, a niche market and even if it doubled, tripled or quadrupled it would not be “unsustainable”. Perfect example of people inventing fake solutions to real problems.

That said, there seems to be no way of listening to music without a big enviromental cost. Streaming is very resource intensive, and actually really stupid considering physical media only needs to be manufactured once and then is usable for decades. Even downloading MP3’s is much more enviromentally friendly than streaming.

I personally don’t love CD’s like I love tapes and vinyl. I don’t really buy much new vinyl because it’s become so expensive, only tapes and cd’s. I guess vinyl can stay as a premium collectable for all I care.

4 Likes

Well, that’s the purpose of buying used and trading right? GAS is not an untreatable condition.

2 Likes

dude… I loved that thing… I’ve recently found my old school minidisc psytrance collection, serious trip…

5 Likes

Yeah, I really wish Minidisc would have replaced CD’s. They had mojo like tapes, CD is just boring.

for sure… cds and their players were bulky and i totally hated the burning shit process and the fact that they were getting scratches instantly… i loved that you could hook your md to something and just record… so much fun… shame it had such shitty bitrate and i think with today’s technology it could be something much better

1 Like

I ripped them all uncompressed, and after that I only bought drm free files.

How punk is that?

retro-retro?
anti-hipster?

The global vinyl market was $1.5B in 2021, compared to $16.9B for the global music streaming market for the same period. According to my rough calculations, vinyl equates to around 8.88% of the streaming market. That’s a fairly big niche and a represents a significant carbon footprint. Please forgive the unsolicited fact checking, I just felt it warranted some perspective.

4 Likes

I guess the trouble is CD has a relatively short lifespan compared to vinyl.
So I guess one could ask; is a collection a collection if it will in time, cease to be a (working) collection?

What is the global carbon footprint of streaming?

It’s hard to find exact figures but a quick Google search resulted in this nugget of info: according to research by academics at the University of Glasgow:

But by 2016 the generation of GHGs by storing and transmitting digital files for those listening to music online is estimated to be between 200 million kilograms and over 350 million kilograms in the US alone.

GHGs = greenhouse gas (including carbon dioxide)

I agree with Henke on this. After years of accumulating a lossless digital music collection and buying my favorite albums on vinyl, I’ve come to the conclusion that I like having music as a physical medium - I like the liner notes and the whole presentation as part of the overall experience. And since most modern releases are recorded digitally, I don’t really see the point of paying the premium price for vinyl if I’m just getting a digital recording.

That has led me to buying CDs again for most modern recordings, and my vinyl collection is now mostly limited to classic rock and jazz in cases where I know I’m getting an all-analog pressing.

2 Likes

I have kids, my YouTube looks like I never even existed.

7 Likes

CD’s??? Nuts!

Sorry. That’s all I got.

3 Likes

Yeah, niche in that even if the whole vinyl industry was eliminated, it would have no real enviromental impact as other emissions (including from streaming) keep rising. It’s a fake solution to a real problem.

2 Likes

Not sure that we can compare so simply.
8.88% of the money spent on Streaming does not represent 8.88% of listens or volume, the prices are not the same, for $1 in vinyl, how many titles on the platforms that exploit musicians, consume insane energy and advertise on different media?
What volume of materials just in servers, hard drives, cables… to distribute David Getta? Better materials than vinyl?
As mentioned above, vinyl is a niche product. Stopping the animated emojis on social networks or getting out of increasingly heavy and powerful cars would surely be more effective for the planet.
The last thing I saw was Oxfam stores in Belgium putting 3d photos (the ones where moving the phone changes the point of view) of second-hand books online… I don’t know how much data and more energy that represents but it shows how stupid man is.

I had to get rid of a good number of ruined cds and tapes, from memory I must have thrown away maybe three or four vinyls, one of which I had dropped (Aphex Twin Girl/Boy).
So I return my vinyl and I don’t consider myself an environmental criminal.

1 Like

A good question, and something we need to think of more when it comes to digital services - but compared to the production and distribution of a physical product, that then still requires a powered device to listen to will be significantly less, by orders of magnitude.

Guaranteed you are wrong.
Moreover, listening to a streaming product is not easy without a powered device (which often has batteries…).