Ableton License Authorizations reset

I think transferring license is possible to a different account so the both activations will be transferred.

Iā€™ll try to email them tomorrow

I hope!

1 Like

I got answer from Ableton:

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with Ableton Support.

Please keep in mind that every Live license comes with only 2 authorizations for your personal use.

De-authorizing Live is not possible. If you wish to install Live on 3 or 4 computers, please know that we offer a 50% discount on additional licenses that also cover two registrations. If you would like to purchase an additional Live 11 Standard license please send me a short confirmation and I will send you a payment link with the discount.

If you are not interested on this offer please make sure you uninstall Live from one of your computers by following these steps:

Uninstalling Live (Mac)
Uninstalling Live (Windows)

Should you have any further questions, feel free to let us know.

Have a great day!

Best,

Ale

Ableton Support

But donā€™t want 3-4 computers and I donā€™t want to spend money again.

Hmm, maybe they think you use Live on those other computers. Did you provide as much detail to Ableton in your message as you did in your first post here? I would fall upon their mercies and reiterate.

Note: Live comes with two unlocks which can be used to authorize two of your machines. It is not possible to transfer unlocks to other machines or deactivate used unlocks. You can however transfer your license as explained in this article.

unlocks, aka activations, should not be transferred with the license, but I agree with Claid, just email again explain everything and clarify you do not want additional computers but only a new one, maybe even mention that they can reset both active unlocks so you can start from scratch.

btw this process seems really a PITA, maybe you should mention that they should implement an option to de-authorize a machine from the website.

I believe itā€™s a trust-based system: they just tell you that you shouldnā€™t have Live installed on more than 2 computers.

• If you run out of unlocks, youā€™ll get more, and you can use them for your existing license and are asked to have no more than 2 authorized installations of Live at any time.
  • If you sell your license, the buyer will have 2 unlocks initially, and youā€™re supposed to uninstall your own.

That is oddā€¦ I would also write back that one computer no longer has it installedā€¦,

Good luck :+1:t2:

So I immediately wrote back and told that Iā€™m not requesting activation for more machines but I need to restore activation for the second machine as I can have two machines according to EULA.
And I got the reply were they gave me one more activation. So Iā€™m set :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now I think what is going on is: If you want to move your license from one machine to another - uninstall the software the way Ableton recommend. If uninstallation goes wrong - the license is still bind with the machine and you have to ask for help.
I had the same issue with iLock for MPC software and AIR instruments - I didnā€™t deactivated the license and wiped the whole installation. And software was bind with that machine in iLock. I had to write to inMusic and ask to remove the license and inMusic did it pretty fast.
I think Arturia has it the best way - there is an option to remove your devices right in your personal cabinet.

Looks like they were slightly confusedā€¦

2 Likes

Yes this is what Iā€™d like to recommend them. Say machine died and you canā€™t uninstall Live, the you have to ask them and they will be confused. Theyā€™d better to implement web option for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah it will be trust system until they come up with something more comfyā€¦

1 Like

Well why then I need to properly uninstall software if it was installed on two machines already, I will run out of unlocks anyway if I need to say replace one of my computers. I mean uninstalling the software properly doesnā€™t help you save your unlocks for Live activationā€¦ what a BS
I THINK THIS IS REDICULOUS:

Note: Live comes with two unlocks which can be used to authorize two of your machines. It is not possible to transfer unlocks to other machines or deactivate used unlocks. You can however transfer your license

If you previously had Live installed on two machines, you may receive an error message that you have run out of unlocks during a reinstallation, and provided you will only have Live installed on two machines, you can [request more unlocks.]

I think Ableton is just behind the schedule on licensing issues.

Look at what NI has in this case:

The end-user license agreement (EULA) for Native Instruments products allows installation on two computers (three computers for all versions of MASCHINE and KOMPLETE). It is not allowed to use your installations simultaneously.

If you replace one of your computers it is not necessary to deactivate an existing installation, but due to the license agreement it is required to uninstall the product from the previously used computer.

If your computer crashed or you replaced the hard drive and it is not possible to uninstall the NI product, proceed with the activation on the new computer. You will still maintain the number of activations granted by the End User License Agreement.

Note: This condition applies also when you remove and reinstall the software for troubleshooting reasons.

Please do not create a new account! Always use the same login (email address) to activate on a new computer, as your serial number is connected to your Native Instruments account.

I donā€™t know. I am using Ableton Live (Suite) since 2004. Never had an issue with this. Only very few times when I bought a new Mac I had to ask for a new unlock and it worked like it did for you.

Right now I have several Maschines licensed and still have unlocks available.
That is why I think there is some kind of trust system behind this.

Ableton seems to be quite happy with this ā€œeasyā€ license method. Probably cheaper than iLok (Which I think is crap) even considering people still use cracked versions of itā€¦

I just got Native Instruments Maschine last year so I cannot really comment on that. Up to now I do not have any issues as you say I installed it several times no problem. I wonder how many people misuse that (Code Sharing) but I guess that is a complete new topic. Or existing topic :smiley:

The worst I think is Roland Could. You have to open up the app every now and then and authorize. And sometimes when you want to use one of the plugins they are no longer registered. It has improved but still sucks.

2 Likes

Same here, user since 2004-ish (v3) right up to present day v11 suite. In that time ive probably switched between maybe 11 or 12 different computers, installing on each with no issue and oftentimes having it installed on 2 and sometimes 3 at the same time. Never had any issue with license authorisation, never had to request additional one nor have i ever had to de-install live from one machne before installing on another. Only thing ive been mindful of is making sure not to have it running on two machnes at the same time, which i think is/was Abeltonā€™s stipulation a while back n regards having two licenses (i may have made that up tho?)

Yep, f**k roland cloud. Absolute garbage.

2 Likes

The issue resolved and software successfully installed, thanks for discussions! Iā€™m going to discuss in another topic on IK multimedia forcing me to buy ā€œsoundsā€ that I had before. Basically you are given 180 days to download sounds, if past 180 you need to download them again - pay 9.99. Awesome?