Ableton Master Track Chain for Live Play

Hi there,

I’m planning on running a charity stream on New Year’s Eve, and I’d like some advice. I am using Ableton as just a software mixer that combines my tracks and feeds the master into OBS - not even using MIDI sync. Since it is running through Ableton, I figure I might as well take the opportunity to “pre-mix/pre-master” and set it up in a way that enhances the overall mix.

For a live performance setup (meaning no post processing of files or extensive latency), what would you recommend adding to the master chain?

I was thinking - compressor (for glue) and limiter (as a safety check on level), but was curious what you would add and why.

If it matters, I will be playing a mix of hardware synths, drum machine, guitar, and bass, and the style will be a kind of low-key jazz with some ambient textures.

Thanks!

Have you tried the Ableton rack presets?
There are some called “master” (I’m on mobile now and I don’t remember the exact path and name) that I always use (set as template).
Through my Adam monitors they give a good result, glueing everything in a pleasant way to my hears.
Compared to the same empty master, the coloring effect is there, but you can twist the macro knobs to taste.

Edit:
Based on Live version you can find them in different paths:

Live 9 that I currently use:
/Audio effects/Audio Effect Rack/Mixing and Mastering

Live 11 tried some time ago:
/Audio effects/Utilities/Audio Effect Rack/Mixing and Mastering

I suggest to try:

• Master meaty analogue
  • Master stereo enhanced
  • Master wide & warm
1 Like

I didn’t know there were rack presets! I’ll give these a try when I test a bit today. Thank you!

1 Like

Map8 may be helpful too: providing macros for anything, anywhere in your project otherwise sounds like you’re well on track!

1 Like

I’m also interested in this topic, I use only hardware for now ( synths and machinedrum into ot, ot master into mackie mixer). I have the audio interface on the master insert of the mixer and running ableton for capturing the performance. I’m trying ozone to process the master but I don’t have the knowledge to prepare a mastering chain so I’m looking for advice: any recommendations of videos or books to make the first steps?

I know that ozone has a auto mode but I want to know more

This is a really interesting topic and something I’d love to get better at. Currently I use the following master track chain in Ableton:

• Voxengo Span to make sure that my tracks have a balanced mix
  • VU Meter to make sure all of my tracks have approx the same loudness. I calibrate it at -12 and make sure that the average loudness sits around 0 for every track. The first 2 devices are obviously only used during the mix-down.
  • FX Rack with some macros to create tension and drops (with fx like highpass filter, echom hybrid reverb, etc)
  • Gullfoss live: The low latency version with mild settings (20% for recover and tame). I would love to use soothe2 as well but with 42ms it is adding too much latency.
  • EQ eight to boost the lows and highs a little (around 55hz and 11Khz)
  • Compressor to catch the peaks and boost the sound
  • True Iron: Not sure what it does exactly but it glues the mix together :+1:
  • Saturator in analog clip mode and soft clip on
  • Limiter with 2db boost and -1db as ceiling.

I’m by no means an expert but this gives great results on my speakers. I also experimented quite a bit with the glue compressor and fabfilters multiband compressor but it was hard to find settings that works well enough for different tracks. Any thoughts on this? :pray:

3 Likes