Absolute OP frequency or drone?

Can you set an OP or two on the DN to an absolute frequency? So that they’re completely detached from the relative freq of the trig note and just drone? I thought this was a thing on the DN but I can’t find it now… might be I have too many FMs and have gotten confused.

Rereading the manual (always a good time — honestly! Thanks Elektron!) the only things I see with keyscaling considerations are the filter cutoff and the mod level of the OPs. But maybe I’m missing it?

From what I remember of DN, I don’t think this is possible. I also remember someone requesting it be implemented because they use a similar feature in Ableton’s Operator for making percussive sounds.

Plenty of discussion and requests for this:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=fixed%20frequency%20%23elektron-gear:digitone

1 Like

Yeah, percussion is my use case as well. It’d be nice to have a snare where the thump of the “head” can be tuned but the noise of the feedback’d “snare” can be constant, for example. I do this on my EFM and Preen patches, and I thought the DN, but ¯\(ツ)/¯. It’s been a long year :wink:

Not a big deal seeing as we have plocks on the DN, of course. I’m just a fan of keeping as much in the sound that I can.

2 Likes

@PeterHanes with the search-fu! I tried “drone” and “absolute” without much luck. “fixed” was the key. Thanks!

One possible workaround is to use an LFO at audio rate, but it’s a little limited. Could lead to interesting results though!

2 Likes

Ratio to 1.00 and ratio offset to -1.00 stops the oscillator.
Apply audio rate LFO to ratio offset and you are there.

3 Likes