Access Virus Ti desktop - still relevant?

Like a 128 voice analog hybrid Virus with 128 analog filters!? :joy:

The heat of that alone would probably increase the global warming temp by 0.5 degrees. I can dream though :relieved:

4 Likes

Haha. We could all synchronize hyper-saws as a diabolical plan to do what we do every nightā€¦ TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Or at least submerge Floridaā€¦

1 Like

Just say when! :joy:

1 Like

My first was secondhand virus C for 400ā‚¬ 10 years ago and my world changed then. Paired it with OT and went dawless from then on. I got infected and still am. Today TI2 sits next to my beloved og OT. No vaccine for this kind of infection was made yet. Went modular at some point but soon realised the workflow with OT and Virus is way more fruitful and fun for the way I work.

Love the modular stuff but the relevance and the power of the Virus is still incomparable to this day IMHO.

I just wish OT could utilise midi scenesā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

my experience is modular and the virus are very complimentaryā€¦

I use my modular when I really want to focus on sound design, sequencing, modulationā€¦ do less ā€˜traditionalā€™ synthesis, and of course, mainly monophonic.

the Virus TI when I just want to play polyphonically, and based off a traditional subtractive synthesis.
(the 61 key TI also has a great keyed, so makes a great master keyboard) Itā€™s just such a great instrument !

so, very little overlap imho.

the OT + Virus is a killer combo (esp. with my mk1 TI)
also, love my Squarp Hapax + Virus too, makes multi-timbral aspects come alive.

add modular , and I really need nothing elseā€¦ the limits are within me, not the gear !

3 Likes

Thatā€™s one hell of a deal, anything wrong with it?

When I bought the virus C the prices were so low because of the analogue vs digital synth hype at the time. All the digital synths were really cheap. At least here in EU. It was good as new.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing! I just got a TI for Ā£650 but I need to replace the screen. Iā€™d happily have gone for a C for the equivalent of ā‚¬400. Theyā€™re such amazing synths. No other hardware makes me feel so connected to the sound.

2 Likes

For sure! The connection is really something with this synths. I got something on a similar level with the OT.

Just wanted to say I listened to the entire video while walking home from work today. Best demo of the TI out there, bravo! Please do one on the external audio inputs. Would be awesome to hear techno from the OT get mangled by the FX and filters.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried the Fx thing today though and it honestly wasnā€™t that cool so Iā€™m not sure itā€™s worth a video. Also the atomizer has no wet / dry mix which is a huuuuuge bummer

1 Like

To be honest I donā€™t really know what the atomiser does but I wondered if that stereo waveshaping distortion would sound good on a kick loop.

I really ought to use a pair on the ins and outs on my interface to utilise the TI and Ableton Live properly.

Atomizer is sort of a glitch buffer repeat effect with up to 16 grains. Itā€™s quite cool but either on or off at different rates based on playing keys.

So if youā€™re putting say a drum loop through itā€™s either dry or fully wet and glitchy. It would be better with a wet / dry mix, to not lose the groove so much

1 Like

Would a (mono) workaround be possible by running drums in through the left channel then out an assignable output, then back in the right channel with the atomizer? Use the track volume to mix it in?

Iā€™d love a virus Ti desktop.
Very expensive here new and only ever see the keyboard version second hand. Amazing synth. Way ahead of its time.

3 Likes

Hopefully a good deal comes along for you.

Get the keyboard version. Makes a great stand for your OT.

2 Likes

Haha, quite. But i dont have space for the keyboard version :slight_smile:

I saw a Virus B up for grabs recently. Dont know much about those.

1 Like

The Virus A/B/C were the original VA Viruses. The TI series introduced much more powerful DSPs, all the wavetable stuff and probably other stuff. More in the SoS review. Every iteration of the Virus has itā€™s fans - I donā€™t think Access has ever produced a bad synth.

The TI series has far more polyphony than the A/B/C. If you donā€™t care about wavetables and donā€™t care about running multiple patches in parallel then the A/B/C are a good choice if you can find them.

1 Like

:thinking: sounds like a case to use the atomizer just as a send effect and sample rather then active live use?

Theyā€™re awesome, seriously. Had one for years, only just upgraded. The B is my favourite synth other than the TI.