Adding bpm to wav metadata (how?)

Anyone know how to easy add the tempo (bpm) to the metadata of a wav?

This because I have a bunch of loops from OT (and might want to make more loops from Ableton Live) that I want to import on my Bitbox.

To have the clip loop in time, it seems the Bitbox will look at the WAV metadata. That’s what this old post from 1010 on the 1010Forum suggests:

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/blackbox/wish-list-blackbox/39891-set-bpm-from-loop-length

Anyone know how to easily do this?

How about adding bpm to the sample name?

I have never heard of bpm in metadata. Some machines can beat detect, but that’s it. There’s also MTC, but you don’t need that for this purpose.

Sounds like over complication of an easy to solve problem.

Besides my original comment, I can assure you that 99% of people who make music do not adjust bpm metadata of their wavs lol

Unfortunately Bitbox autodetect doesn’t always work properly and then loops don’t get in sync.

What’s the easy solution?

1 Like

Add bpm to your file name. If loop isn’t perfect then adjust start or end point.

BWF metaedit should cover your needs

https://mediaarea.net/BWFMetaEdit

you’ll have to figure out which chunk (BEXT/INFO etc) bit box wants to see the bpm info in

1 Like

I don’t understand why you even bother to write your post.

Thanks, I’ll have a look!

Ok, just giving you a straight answer as adding bpm to a wav file doesn’t automatically make it in sync. Sync is your goal here, right? What about file length? You can add bpm to metadata as much as you’d like, but if the start/end isn’t correct it will still not be in sync.

If he’s talking about “perfect” loops from the ot, they should be loopable without any further triming. If the bitbox can read bpm Metadata, and you can add this Metadata to a wav-file, seems like that should work.

Edit: I guess it is a bit like the Rex-format, I remember that providing some sort of Metadata which my daw could read in the olden times

1 Like

after reading this i’m not entirely certain metaedit will get you where you want to go

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/bitbox/support/13285-wav-metadata-supported-tags

2 Likes

Thanks for finding this - I didn’t find that discussion when I looked around on the 1010 forum. I’m afraid it all goes over my head too much - it really seems that 1010 hasn’t really taken a userfriendly approach into account for importing clips that timestretch.

When you record clips on the Bitbox it does it automatically but when you import loops and the auto bpm scan function has it wrong you’re kinda screwed.

Thanks for linking that thread

Time stretching is a completely different thing than bpm detection😉.

you might take a look at the metadata and tags of a file created in bitbox in the kid3 tag editor.
this might give you some clues as to your path forward.

check the tag 3 metadata. this is where the RIFF info that bitbox utilizes should reside

1 Like

Still really not helping

Super - thanks @96teeth

hopefully there is an easier path than busting out python

Why not resample from OT into Bitbox with MIDI sync?

Yeah that’s the best way for now indeed

1 Like