ADHD and electronic music

I … :thinking: … wouldn’t be so sure about that :sweat_smile::rofl:

Is this a sentence? Oversimplification … is a … brain mentally - and … I don’t wish medical doctors … to be inclined to do?

Help me please, I can’t decipher. :thinking:🫤 Guess it’s my simple mind. :shushing_face:

That post is a known neurodiversity test! :joy:

I think especially with such a topic, or is important to show you are clearly non-offensive.

Also… about adhd, in the Netherlands every year a bigger % of our population is diagnosed with adhd. Usually based on questionnaires from 1980.

I think our living environment motivates us to sleep less, watch way too many screens (6 hours a day is not strange, I have seen so many people with +10 h/d

These new influences disturb our executive power. Of more people have symptoms with problematic executive functioning, it doesn’t mean there are more people with ADHD, it can be that we live in a world that increased executive problems.

Watching the population with variation perspective helps with this. A % is vulnerable for problems if their environment changes

3 Likes

For psychotic variants? :thinking:

1 Like

Back to the 432hz filtered noise thing. Here’s a few clips I made. Let me know what youse think.
Different coloured noise outputs into 432hz tuned diode filter. No resonance. All normalised.

White

Red

Pink

Blue

Gauss

Sorry about the clicks. I forgot to add fades.

4 Likes

Needs more donk.

2 Likes

Honestly I thought they would all sound the same. But they don’t at all. I’m inclined to never use white noise again, the other colours are way more interesting.

2 Likes

Couple of things that have been helping me recently:

• I saw a tweet - cant find it now - that said something like “ADHD is having to always keep moving cause if you stop you’re done for”. If I promise my brain it’ll have time to wander once this and that are done, it doesn’t throw as hard a fit.

• I noticed that I would get frustrated by big tasks - eg “grading” - which is many steps lumped into a single task. If I break it down into smaller tasks - eg “download submitted assignments”, cross off, then “print downloads”, cross off, so on - it would help with the sense of feeling overwhelmed.

4 Likes

Know it as: Don’t sit down or you’re doomed :frowning::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Naturally I find that useful as a model but in practice I can create infinite tasks, which is great with my creative onedrive notebook to recall from but less good with work items i’m getting paid monies from.

And yes, as a child i recall my mother moving from morning until she collapsed and i had to remind her to move to bed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I recently picked up a medium sized whiteboard on which I’m writing and erasing single tasks for different projects very liberally. It helps limit the tasks because there is only so much space. Plus if I write single tasks for different projects, if I get bored with one I can move to a different one without getting lost with where I am in either…just pick back up on that one task.

That is another mountain I face: going to bed at an appropriate time as opposed to fighting to stop scrolling or whatever the f my brain for some ungodly reason world rather do than sleep.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great way to necessarily prioritize queue removal in ways that don’t involve placing post-its on my monitors to get moved around until the heat death of the universe when i end up working around them.

1 Like

I love reading these threads and hearing about what people are trying out and what works for them. I’m always reluctant to post as I don’t have diagnosed ADHD, just a fair bit of sympathy and experience of similar symptoms that people describe. I really struggle with overwhelm from too much stuff I want to do, versus having a really hard time starting anything. I’m great at making plans but terrible at implementing.

It’s not often I try a strategy that I think will have a lasting effect, and that I can feel is making a genuine difference to my happiness and wellbeing, so I thought I’d share it here. I recently tried starting a bullet journal (apparently a big internet trend from a few years back, heaps of stuff out there to help you get started). It’s basically a pen and paper year ahead, month ahead planner, with a daily log, that you can freely chuck in random pages about whatever you want (projects, thoughts, lists). You number each page and have a book style index page to keep track of it all so you don’t have to worry about structure and pages in advance.

I’m only on the first month so far, but here are a couple of the things I have found really positive so far in terms of keeping myself on task and on track.

• taking a realistic look at how much free time I actually have in a month to do things outside of work and the bare minimum of chores and within normal energy levels. I decided this was 2 hours per weekday day, and 6 hours each Saturday and Sundays.
  • plan out what projects and tasks I want to get done that month, triple the time estimate for each, and only plan to do in that month what will fit in the available count of hours (88 hours for a normal month, anything else goes on the list to consider for next month). This has really helped me feel less overwhelmed because I know I’m already at maximum commitment.
  • at the start of each day, planning what I will do with those 2 hours based on how I’m feeling, and only setting the bare minimum task to further the goal. Like pump one bike tyre, or find three companies to get a quote from (calls or emails another day), cut X number of rough lengths for a woodworking project. Basically just enough to get started, and I can either keep going if I’m feeling it, or tap out quickly if I need to, having still done what I set myself to do.
  • the 2 hours each weekday aren’t really set times. Some are poached from the workday when I’m procrastinating anyway, some happen during my lunch break, some happen after dinner. It’s not a black and white 2 hour block. It’s this is realistically how much spare time across the day I have, this is stuff I can do today to further my realistic number of goals for this month.
  • making time to visit and talk to family and friends within that allowance. It sounds a bit cold, but life can be such a mad rush that unless there’s plans (as simple as a drop in visit) booked in in advance it’s too easy to let this slip. It was causing me a lot of background stress worrying about neglecting relationships that at least being able to mark off that I’ve done the bare minimum feels like a weight lifted.
  • I mark down each day all the stuff/chores I have done. Also keep a log of things like steps, screen time, number of coffees/alcohol etc, what my mood was like. Not trying to make big changes here, but it does remind me to pace up and down a bit while waiting for the coffee machine.
  • I’ve set a habit for the month, something to do daily. This month it’s stretching and doing squats. No rules on how much or when, as long as I do it each day. It’s still more than before hey. Next month will probably be jamming to a backing track once per day.
4 Likes

I really wanted bullet journalling to work for me when I tried it, but it was too much for me to do, habitually, at the time.

I might try again now I’m not drinking though.

1 Like

Oh yeah, already there’s been days where I could barely be bothered. I have no idea if I buy into the underlying ethos of bullet journalling, it just struck me as an interesting way to take notes. I had been using the app Notion for a while, but noticed I was opening it less and less for capturing day to day stuff, and I also had a fancy unused notebook so figured what the hey.

This resonates. The number of times I have found a new system for organising things I need to do !! Inevitably this results in a great system, ever being refined, but nothing ever actually getting done after the initial honeymoon period.

(Caveat: I have no diagnosis but I recognise many of the symptoms in this thread).

2 Likes

I quickly realized what post-it notes were for me: unrelenting clutter in my face forever. Not for me.

4 Likes

The best thing about systems is how many there are for me to fail at! :slight_smile:

Seriously, as long as I keep up spirits failure is for me to move closer to not-failure at systems/methods. Failing soon and hard (with grace) is a lifelong art I’m working on.

I need to meet locals who want to make fast and hard electro-punk dance music where I don’t have time to overthink :stuck_out_tongue: The dirtier and sloppier the better.

2 Likes

You’ve probably already heard of them, but do you use Priority matrix planning?

1 Like