AENR parameter (AMP page 2)

Hi, i have a question related to how the AENR (amp envelope reset) works on the digitone.

I can really understand the function of this feature but in the practice, I was messing with aern, triying to compare the same sound with it and with out it, and i can’t notice any difference related to the sound.

So what’s going on? For example if I make a monophonic synth patch with a long decay and sustain, and i press another trig before the envelope ends, the sound is triggering again the envelope, it’s not like continue on the same part of the envelope (I don’t really understand if this function works like this, but it is what i understand reading the manual).

1 Like

In your example above, AENR makes a difference only with slow attack. With AENR on the sound always starts from zero volume and slowly fades in, while with AENR off there is no sudden change in the volume for the new sound trigger.

3 Likes

So for example, if i have a very long attack patch with AENR off, and i play two notes in a row, the second note will continue where the last note was instead of reset and start from the beginning?

1 Like

Yes, you are right.
AENR off is also a way to eliminate clicky sound start.

2 Likes

Also a way to ensure a tight front end transient for percussive sounds when Amp env reset is ON.

4 Likes

Thank you very much guys, now i can really understand the benefits of this options, and use it as a sound design tool.

Wow, this is a really nice tip!

I have tried many different things but as yet have never been able to distinguish an audible difference between setting AENR off or on.

2 Likes

me too… it’s kind of weird :slight_smile:

The effect of AENR depends on voice allocation, too. For mono or 1 voice reserved for track it should work all the time. With polyphonic tracks it can happen the new voice uses not the last audible voice but an “old” one and hence volume starts from zero.

4 Likes

Ah, totally makes sense!