AI generated art

Well, for me this topic is the ultimate in doom scrolling, I’m better off reading articles about recessions and global warming.

1 Like

Album artwork artist? :rofl:

1 Like

Yes… I must pull out some Roxy Music covers now to cleanse my palate.

1 Like

These are amazing. Honestly at this point I don’t care if AI takes the jobs of all concept artists, those Dune shots are EXACTLY how I’d want a Dune movie to look.

And at some point to have that tool in free use for inspiration and album covers… Amazing.

But they are based on Joborowsky and his team of exceptional artists doing all the leg work many years ago. The film wasn’t made because of a lack of concept or talent mood boards, etc.

1 Like

Are they based on existing artwork though? Can’t find any such info in the link.

Been a while since I shared something, haven’t had an active Midjourney sub for a bit - found some treasures in my archive I might trickle out to keep the artists sweating

2 Likes

I’ve seen that documentary, but I’m asking you if those AI generated pieces are actually based on the concept art made for the movie or not? Or did that dude who made them just input phrases and the AI generated them based on those phrases alone, not any actual concept art?

If you saw the documentary I really don’t understand your question to be honest. It’s full of artwork that looks similar to those few images. I have no idea what the dude fed into the machine and don’t see anything all that new there.

Well the question is relevant in that would the AI have generated similar images despite if the user had no knowledge of the Jodorowsky project? If by chance they’d read the book and just generated images on their mental image alone. I suspect that’s the case, the AI itself had no source material taken from Jodorowskys project and the only link between the images and Jodorowsky’s project was the user who based some of his phrasing on existing concept art.

That is a good point but do you think that most people using AI are going to disclose such things? George Lucas borrowed a lot from Jodorowsky’s vision but at least he paid a lot of the people (as far as I remember) who were working on Dune when he made Star Wars.

Depends on the prompts - if the AI was being asked to create imagery related to Dune, then there will be visual reference points it can draw on - similarly a person utilising an AI can provide prompts or points of inspiration similar to those an artist might use and arrive at similar conclusions.

Art AI’s in many ways are a crude version of how a person creates art. We draw inspiration from works we’ve encountered and the context they belong to.

I’ve also found pleasure in identifying some of the ‘styles’ present in the AI’s themselves - some of the cruder ones have quirks - like an inability to grock hands, that give them a character of their own, like any other artist.

1 Like

This is more of a technical question rather than an ethical one. Those AI models run on huge amounts of source material, mostly stuff they have not asked permission to use nor will ever ask or pay anyone. My point was, did the AI use any specific images from Jodorowskys concept art to create those images? I would guess no, it was all text prompts and fine tuning from the user.

Yeah, I know how it works. It’s just that onthebannedwagon said those images would not exist without original concept art from Jodo’s project, which I then wondered if it actually used any existing, specific images or if it worked like most AI generators and just used the vast amount of source material available and generated the images from solely text prompts.

I think this is a relevant distinction because it means the AI, or the user doesn’t need any specific existing art to generate images such as that. They only need to fine tune the images with more specific prompts and the end result can be as good and on point as those images.

1 Like

Got it :+1: I wouldn’t have thought that source imagery were used as part of the prompt, but they may have asked for it to be in a certain style. I don’t think the suggestion was that they’re based on existing works (i.e. adaptations of similar images), just that the style was recognisable. That was my take.

1 Like

All those AIs are trained on copyrighted and non-copyrighted images taken from the www, which of course includes all image material from the Jodorowsky project available on the www.

1 Like

Sure, but while the source material includes a lot of Jodo’s images it also includes so much more stuff that those images aren’t necessary for the end result. Or maybe, depends on how those images were created. But in general if the AI has hundreds of millions of source images, dozens or hundreds specific images have little to no impact on the end result.

What’s particularily interesting about them (the Dune ones [and the Tron ones]) is, that the faces are stretched wide [not all of them], because many people made screen caps of DVDs in the wrong aspect ratio and uploaded them like that to the internet.

2 Likes

Indeed and Jean Giraud died in 2012 so he won’t be able to chime in and from what I’ve heard Jodorowsky is probably more interested in reading tarot cards to care…

1 Like