AI generated art

Fair enough, but that’s also my point: I could feed anybodys face into their AI and there is no regulation or law or anything that will keep me (or anyone else) from it. Either way there is alsready a ton of images from me online, most without my consent, many also not encrypted.

On the other hand I also think that feeding more “diverse” faces to it might give a chance to get more representative results in the future, but that’s just my personal take on that, apart from that I whish there will be clear laws and rules to how these new technologies can be used.

Apart from that my curiosity always wins at the end: I wanted to see how their model libraries perceive “me”, or what an AI considers “me” to be. I don’t consider my face as a personal matter, but I am deeply concerned about the fact that there is no option for artists to “opt out” from their library: A specific artistic style is indeed something very personal I would say…

2 Likes

These AI’s will utilise the collective knowledge of humanity - even if you’ve not posted a photo of yourself online, someone else will have - you don’t have to communicate with the AI for it to know who you are.

Take Facebook for example, they’ll have a social graph for you even if you only appear in the background of other peoples photographs.

But I totally get it, I havent used Facebook in over 10 years and am protective over most personal data - and fight to keep it out of peoples hands.

But I’m not sure this is a game you can win.

Excellent points

2 Likes

Excellent point.
Next time I’ll try “à la Disney”, just to check!

1 Like

Deft Boldbloom

I’ve decided to do a series based on the settings I have for these in Starryai :slight_smile:

2 Likes

image image image

6 Likes

haha these are good ones

1 Like

First experiments with Midjourney!! Wowzers

8 Likes

Ben Stiller as a dystopian robot skeleton policeman

2 Likes

Do you need Discord to access Midjourney. I got my invite, but I’m not prepared to use any of those chat apps.

1 Like

yes, since they want to keep the results and prompts as “open” as possible. Can also get quite convoluted without the “privilege” of subscribing since the results will be randomly added to the chat…

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

The AI itself operates as a Discord bot so very much required - it’s a bit different to the others.

I quite like it because you can see everyone else’s prompts and variations in realtime - in fact you could not pay and just spectate and it would be quite interesting.

I watched an architect trying to get to something quite specific this afternoon it was a wild ride.

3 Likes

While interestingly follwing this thread, and making own impressions with dall-e et al, i have some questions which are essential to this topic on a music related forum .imo. (besides the entertaining aspects of seeing this ai output and the technical skills of different systems)

The whole ai evolution questions common relations in human interactions and expressions with setting up another level of human-like layers of decision making and, in context of this forum, art in general. While this topic spans in every corner of our lives, the perspective of the evolution of art is a point worth here. While we are seeing amazing pictures generated by the communication between the user and the ai (with text input :-)), the context of music is not clear to me. I know about ai infused music generating software and the whole, mostly japanese based, music culture with avatars performing ai generated music and bringing masses into the stadiums. We need to talk about the lines between humans and ai, about measures like quality, longevity, unique selling propositions and in the end about the value of art.

In the moment, my impression is that i can mostly hear a difference between ai music and a human interaction with instruments - elctronic as acoustic. Mostly based on factors like a specific personality in playing or development of music (this will not work on many tunes sounds like the xth remake of an idea by mediocre “producers”). Do you see this difference in those pictures? Is there a line or is this a fluid thing? If a constant increase in ai algos will make more and more incredible art, where are we/humans? As consumers sure, and as the part time artists paying 9,99$ monthly abos for using the ai for “creating art”?

Am i an anachronist or do we need to talk about us, musicians, how to claim our art?

2 Likes

IMO Art is about self expression. That never goes away. Even in these cases the AI art generated is a manifestation of human creativity.

With certain images I end up having a strange sense of ownership over them, almost as if I’ve created them.

Apologies I think I’m repeating myself but I see it as being very close to art direction - and from a commercial perspective I see this as good.

Executing art isn’t where humans provide value, it’s as much about the curation. Like working with generative music, it’s about choosing the paths, and when to hit record.

Freeing up human time to spend more of it ideating and less of it executing I think is kind of mostly good!

3 Likes

This for example was a fun process - if I were at work setting a brief to my design team and got this back in 5 minutes based on what I instructed I’d be opening a bottle of champagne.

It managed to be both exactly what I was looking for and also something I would never have quite envisaged.

good point! and hitting a central point of evolution. :wink: making life more efficient. You`re right in art is about self expression. But you can take a perspective in seeing selfexpression as part of beeing which should not be “oursourced” - where is the self, if we delegate this essential part of humanity?

also - somewhere in this thread, there was the mention of someone takes a picture of some beautiful mountain scenery. Where is the hiking, the camp setting, the smells and the worn-feet-feeling leading to this Foto , in ai?

Ai can be a creative source, for sure . But we are on the run with it, for not loosing our feeling for our creativity.

@your picture
Laser_Spacecraft_Massacre ?

2 Likes

It’s a fascinating discussion and no doubt there will be people that lose out along the way - getting people out of mines is good, but it doesn’t always feel that way for the miners.

I think the implicit value on human creation will always exist, like how we still put more value on a piece of handmade furniture over one that’s made by a robot programmed by a human - perhaps ironically often for the imperfections that entails.

This is of course also only regarding commercial art, more so design. Humans will always want to create, and very few of us ever get anything in return, nor want anything. Everything from drawing circles in the dirt with your feet up to twiddling knobs on a synth.

I took it through a few iterations but it was based on this initial prompt, I think it did pretty well :slight_smile:

Sci-fi spaceship battle, galaxy, neon, bokeh, missiles, explosion, 4k, cinematic, game art

nightmare ghost train in the mist, neon, moonlight, cinematic

It reminds me a little of the first years of the internet - something quite magical about being able to summon information - like you had access to a Star Trek replicator.

This is a bit like that, a way to kind of conjur stuff from your imagination.

5 Likes

MidJourney is seriously impressive

CyberPunk Princess Mononoke

What mankind does to planet earth

How Midjourney Bot feels about mankind

Midjourney AI Self Portrait

7 Likes

Wow those are sick!

1 Like