AK and OB issue in El Cap!?!

I need your help.

I’m using OB as a mere parameter controller plugin in Logic. Audio and USB-Midi are separately routed and are working 100%. However, I recently did a clean install of El Cap and Logic 10.3.2 and I’m having issues running OB as AU in Logic. I had no issues with this setup in Yosemite prior to updating.

Issue:

• No communication between my AK and OB. I can not change parameters or browse presets.
  • Getting red warning messages in OB ”We have communication problems with machine. You may need to re-plug the Overbridge USB-cable.”

I have:

• Clean El Cap 10.11.6.
  • Clean Logic 10.3.2.
  • AK FW 1.24C (no issue updating)
  • OB version 1.15.0.
  • Re-seated USB cable using 2 different ports. Not using a hub.
  • Used 2 different USB cables, the Elektron one included.
  • I tried using the VST plugin inside Maschine 2. No difference.
  • Reset PRAM and SMC.

Possible cause:

• I was not careful and didn’t turn off the AK when installing OB. I have since reinstalled OB and AK FW several times.

Ok, small update.

Issues I’m having are on a Mac Pro 2009. So I figured I install OB 1.15.0 on my MacBook Pro to see if the issue persisted cross other setups. Kinda glad and sad that I seem to get full functionality out of OB. The only difference between these systems is that the MBP has Sierra installed whereas my 2009 Mac Pro has El Capitan.

Could it be that simple, to simply upgrade the Mac Pro to Sierra, to fix this? Anyone encountered similar issues with Mac Pro using El Capitan? Any fix inside El Cap? To upgrade to Sierra I first would need to upgrade the FW of my Mac Pro. I’d rather not do that if I can get it to work some other way.

Please help, guys, if you have any more info on this!

El Cap users, what OB version and corresponding AK/A4 FW do you have?

OK, so if anyone is in a similar situation, I’ve managed to solve this issue by connecting the AK to the computer using a USB hub. For whatever reason, OB is not working when the machine’s connected to the computer’s USB ports directly. Either a USB port on a screen or simple USB 2.0 hub does the trick.

I’m still only using OB as a parameter controller. Not running audio nor MIDI through it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working…

Just another FYI if there are others in similar situation, Elektron support say:

“This most likely has to do with incompatibility with the USB chipset in your Mac Pro. The 2009 Mac Pro also runs the old Xenon processors which are not officially supported and can cause a lot of strange issues.”

So either use a hub or install a PCIe USB card…

Cheers!

1 Like