AK external midi auto channel problem

Hi!

Lots of questions about auto channel and external midi here, but I couldn’t find the answer to this one:

Main question:
How can I use the AK as an external midi keyboard for my DN while using the auto channel without also controlling the DN when I’m not in MIDI Ext-mode?

Explanation:
If I set up my AK to play my DN via the “MIDI Ext”-function/button, I can either (in the MIDI Ext Setup) set the Ext Midi Ch to “Auto”, which is what I want (so that I will play the active track of the DN), or to the corresponding midi channel (ex 1 or 2).

But if I set it to Auto, and also make sure both machines talk on the same Auto channel, ex 10, then the AK plays the DN whether the “MIDI Ext”-button is pressed or not (it plays both AK and DN simultaneously when Midi Ext is off).

I can fix it by changing the Auto channel on one of the machines, so that they don’t talk to each other, but then they can only communicate when the MIDI Ext is set to the specific channel of the DN track. But what I want is that when MIDI Ext is “on” I play the DN through the Auto channel, and when it’s “off” I play the AK as usual.

If AK keyboard sends midi on auto channel only you can use AK Multi Map, settting a range with DN auto channel.

You’d be able to choose a different auto channel for AK, and eventually play some additional sounds from Soundpool with the Multi Map.

4 Likes

Ok, that seems like a solution… I’ll try it out, thanks!

But then when I turn off Multi Map, I’d still be hearing both synths via the keyboard, then? There is no way around that? Like, sometimes I want my AK to be a midi-keyboard for the DN, and sometimes I just want everything to be “normal”.

Of course I can go into the menu and change auto channel whenever I just want to hear the AK, but that seems like a hazzle. Or just use MIDI Ext without auto channel, maybe that’s the easiest anyway.

Never mind my last comment @sezare56 , it actually worked just as I wanted when I tried what you wrote. Now Multi Map works just the way I expected Midi Ext to do. Whenever i activate it, it plays the active track of the DN, and whenever i deactivate it, it plays the AK as usual.

2 Likes