AKAI Force

Ive heard this too, but I have also heard of users happily syncing away with their setups. Seems like this aspect doesnt yet have a consensus wrt what methods of sync work and what doesnt

Ive given up on looking for a sampler that can-do DJing concept. Everythingā€™s moving towards streaming now so ā€˜traditionalā€™ :slight_smile: downloads will be a thing of the past. Beatport are due to release a streaming service where youā€™ll likely be able to stream or save/download your playlists.

Finally some traffic here.

I played live with force and rytm for about 2h with rytm and a4. It took ages to locate and and insert all clips from my ableton sessions and i converted all my midiclips with this fancy mpc pattern online tool. all my stems were to big and i had to cut down every track, make small loops. Sometimes convert to monofiles, cut silent parts in audio clips etc.

My next live setup consists of Force, OT, Digitone and maybe a small modular or mfb nanozwerg.
Nanozwerg out to Digi input.
Force is sequencing the Digi with nice chords and basslines on all 4 channels. The midi is routed through OT for additional arps. Digi Stereo out to Force in 1/2. All Force Outputs to OT in.

I had a Behringer XR18 for years for mixing each channel and mini mastering on the sum but it has a weight and i would need an additional tablet for true mixing.

Maybe i will try to do the transition on OT for every track and create small projects on the force.
but i also hope for disk streaming and a midi updateā€¦

2 Likes

Get the Toraiz SP-16 at USD$899 ā€”far better machine than Akai Force. I had both
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ToraizSP16--pioneer-dj-toraiz-sp-16-sampling-workstation

No.

3 Likes

In what way is it better?

Yes in what way l have both and would like to hear why you think the sp16 is better.

I think the sound without the filter is good. Think modern MPC 3000. The DSI filter is the cherry on top. The only constraint is the sequencer can do 64 steps.

I donā€™t doubt that the sp16 sounds good. I just feel posts likeā€donā€™t buy X, because Y is betterā€ is a bit dumb.

I think my Force sounds good enough. And I really love the workflow I have in my studio after I got it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what matters at the end of the day. Iā€™m sure itā€™s a very capable machine just like any other sampler workstation.

I myself just run samples through the SP16 and record back into ableton and play it there. 64 steps can get boring at times. Also I donā€™t like the 1/16 groove on it. The 1/16 is too tight on it. But I work with what I got.

Straight from Akai Forum:

ā€œNick, the updateā€¦. What the F@&# is taking so long!!!ā€

Thanks for asking, itā€™s complicated but Iā€™ll try to summarize as best as possible. There are many ways to go about releasing updates but these are two.

BIG! - Has a lot :). Takes forever :frowning: - You may think ā€œfeature X will take 1-2 weeksā€ but it takes 3ā€¦ Add 5 featuresā€¦ time adds up >>> Releases get delayed<<<<

Small - Has little but is released consistently. We finish what we can in the time we have and if your features didnā€™t come this Q at least there are improvement and you can look forward to the next update every 3 mo or so.

It was decided to go big on the next force update. There are advantages and disadvantages of this approach. One of the disadvantages is the dev guys arenā€™t able to spend much time on here because they are busting it to get the update ready. Once you say weā€™re going big there is no going back. The advantage is youā€™re going to get much more than just the arranger and drum synth, way more. Stuff you asked for and things you didnā€™t know you couldnā€™t live without. So this is where we are right now. Iā€™m hoping to switch back to an iterative development cycle after this big release so we can address bugs and improve things at a more rapid pace. That would also mean more beta releases for you all to enjoy.

I am still learning how everything goes down, there are a lot of moving pieces and Iā€™m one man working remote in LA. That said, I believe this forum would benefit greatly and would be self sustainable with the right info circulating. Iā€™ll do my best to share what I know but I only know what Iā€™m told at the moment so my next steps are to get closer to the dev process so I can see for MYSELF where things are at so I can have my own informed opinions. This is a process for me as I am only a contractor for InMusic not an official employee. As I learn I will share.

With this said I am pushing hard to get a new beat on here in the next 4-6 weeks. Like Iā€™ve said itā€™s pretty epic and Iā€™m sure will satisfy you. I would spill the beans more but I want to make sure the MPC build is also ready as many of the features will also be available on that platform.

Again thanks for you patience and apologies for not communicating more here. Iā€™ve been more present on the facebook group but will shift my focus to yā€™all leading up to this next beta.

Much love and respect!

Nick

3 Likes

I know the SP16 is praised for its outstanding sonics, but aside from those and the amount of individual outputs onboard, I see very little overlap with the force.

Cant fathom how one could use both for the same tasks in every context

As for the new update, the way I read it is its going to finally make the force a ā€œmatureā€ instrument. Excited to see it when it drops! A shame itll be a long wait

3 Likes

Ooh hey look what dropped!

its the NAMM force beta OS

Giving it a spin tomorrow morning :loopy:

DISCLAIMER: as is obvs, this is a beta OS. Dont install/update if you have serious unfinished work with your force. You have been warned.

1 Like

Where did that ā€œdropā€ from??

gearslutz, just check the force thread there for info.

I saw that now. Just curious if this is an official move, or if someone just shared a ā€œprivate linkā€.

And if this beta is newer than the ā€œofficialā€ beta from a couple of months ago.

If you are on the official Akai beta program, I doubt this is newer than what you are already using. This is for the rest of us who never applied to be betatesters or who never got in.

IIRC I never applied as I feel like my free time is too limited for being a useful betatester for Akaiā€¦ betatesting is tedious and requires alot of time (and documenting issues etc)

The beta Nick showed on Namm this year is newer than the ā€œofficialā€ beta. So thatā€™s what i was curious about.

It was more of a ā€œpublic betaā€ kind of thing i think. And i think that a large amount of users where approved. Im just hoping for improvements! Even if i love it as it is. :slight_smile:

this beta is version 3.0.4.29 if that helps?

Ok, i can see the arranger but where is the drum synth?