AKAI Force

You can move the playhead using the encoders, then SHIFT + PLAY to play from the cursor position.
You can also set multiple locators using Shift +, and play from those locators (aka markers).

While in the arranger, you can record to a clip in the Matrix (old method) or record directly to the arranger using Notes mode in a track, external MIDI keyboard, etc.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know how much I wanted the advanced 16 levelsā€¦

2 Likes

future video w/ force perhaps?
theyā€™re always motivational.

so with lazy chop now, what is the force still missing sample & chop wise that the live/mpc-x/one have?

Thanks kindly. And yes, 100%. Ironically, I just have to finish up a Maschine+ song first, hah.

1 Like

I no longer own an MPC, but I believe theyā€™re on par now. Hopefully someone with a Force and a modern MPC chimes in.

Force can now modulate several sample loop parameters, but I havenā€™t tested that yet.
Edit: re: modulating sample parameters: nothing approaching the OT, but itā€™s a good start for Akai. Velocity to Start, Layer Slice jumping, Layer Reverse, Layer Offset. Plus the usual synth parameters.

please let us know how you get on with that

First thing I tested was MIDI-over-USB with my 2017 iPad Pro (w/ Lightning port), but it apparently doesnā€™t work with the following:

• Apple USB-A->Lightning cable.
  • Akai USB-B->USB-A cable->Apple CCK.
  • Unpowered USB3 hub in-between.

Force display shows 'This USB device is not supported."

It appears that a traditional DIN MIDI interface + CCK is still required, but if anyone figures this out, please post. Looks like the Maschine+ supports this.

Reading through the manual and Iā€™m confused by something

On the Live, you have programs that hold samples.

On the Force, you have drum tracks. Can I put loops into the drum tracks?

If I slice a loop, do the slices turn into hits on a drum track?

Just trying to get a sense of how much the Force is like the MPC Live - similarities/differencesā€¦reading more into my statements, whatā€™s the learning curve like?

Yes. In the Force, a Drum track can be made up of 1-shots, loops, sliced loops (nondestructive or ā€˜make new samples for each padā€™), etc., and a combination of all those.

Sliced loops can be warped & BPM synced per pad.

With the new ā€˜advanced 16 levelsā€™, we can now play each slice chromatically, filter each slice, play each slice with differing attack/decay times.

Tracks in the Force can be:

• Audio Tracks
  • Drumkits (1-shots, loops, sliced loops - nondestructive or ā€˜make new samples for each padā€™, etc.)
  • Plugins (The 4x AIR synths)
  • Keygroups (multisampled instruments)
  • MIDI
  • CV
2 Likes

Same MPC filters?

Yup

1 Like

I have to say the arranger reminds me of the S5 l had and sold it now seems like l have two machines in one box, good job Akai.

1 Like

i might of asked this question before just slightly different but can i use the force w/ ableton just as a controller for plugins just to use the scale and chords function?

my main workflow is starting with ableton and using push mainly for the scales mode w/ third-party plugins (besides laying down drums).

would really like to minimize and ditch push and use force instead but only need the scales function to work.
-cant i use it w/ ableton just as any typical controller and take advantage of scales mode?

rather lay my drums with force and also use the effects so really the only thing that keeps me holding onto the push is the scales mode.

heh, and now they even did an advert with him :smiley:

2 Likes

@pgrm.woof Sure. Create a MIDI track, and the scale, chords, arp, and progressions are sent on their merry way out of the Force.
If youā€™re refering to Forceā€™s Live Control Mode, then no, since the pads can only launch clips, nothing else.

.als import is a total game changer. To be able to prepare a live set on ableton (which will always be easier) and then getting it into the force is like a dream come trueā€¦

True, I wasnā€™t expecting .als import.

The other videos in that playlist are worth a look.
4 Likes

For me the best thing is the improved 16 levels, get a nice sample, play around with warp settings, play more or less chromatically.
And finally the cross fader is useful!!!

1 Like

thanks for the additional info.

however, itā€™s still not clear to me whether you can hear playback from the middle of a clip/sample within the arrange page. In the MPC Liveā€™s grid mode, samples can only be played / triggered from the start point, so playing back arrangements with overlapping samples can be a bit of a pain as you have to go back right to the first start point of your sample. Iā€™m guessing the Force works in the same way, not like a DAW where you can drop a pointer anywhere and hear the audio, including anything thatā€™s overlapping?