AKAI Force

this is weird, how is it that other people are having so much success with the Force currently?

Itā€™s the brain?

Took the plunge. Got mine this morning. Will see if it makes the MPC Live surplus to requirementsā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why exactly is that weird?

the recording, sync issues theyā€™re speaking of

Ah yea, definitely not something that would ever bother me. Force is my clock.

I use one on the MPC One, it is definitely better than using a finger as you can see the display without your hand being in the way, so for moving notes etc Iā€™d recommend it.

Pretty daft, I thought the idea of using one of these was to get away from using Ableton. Still at least it can act as sync master which is better than nothing I suppose, if a tad inconvenient at times.

1 Like

In my case the Force is the brain so no issues there.

1 Like

Yea. Canā€™t say it ever occurred to me to slave the MPC. Always considered it the thing that ran everything.

Never knew the slave sync record thing was an issue until yesterday. Good to know I guess.

1 Like

One clip problem Iā€™m having, is something I also had on the MPC.

Any thoughts on this?

Take a kick drum loop with warp enabled, and the very beginning of the first hit always glitches. Speed up the tempo and itā€™s not too bad. Slow it down and itā€™s really obvious.

ā€¦but most painful, is that it glitches with the same tempo!

Obviously, I could disable the warp, but means I canā€™t then shift up the tempo.

Yup - known thing throughout all the MPCs. Warp basically doesnā€™t work. Gotta do it old school MPC style and time stretch offline in the Sample Editor.

Hmmm. In which case, I hope Akai does something about that at some point.

Sorry, another question. In Step Sequencer mode, the top 4 rows represent the events, but if the loop goes into the next bar (say 4 bars long with 16th events), how do I select the next bar? Is it even possible!? Manual doesnā€™t seem to cover that.

Hold down the step sequencer button and from the pads you can select the next one. Top right is the first 2 bars

2 Likes

Curious. How do you double the length of a clip and also duplicate the notes?

On the MPC Live, you can double the length of the sequence and all the tracks and notes are also included in the new section.

When I hit x2 on the Force, the clip gets longer but the notes arenā€™t in the new section.

Thanks!

Shift + double, the button under track 3 at the bottom.

1 Like

I thought Iā€™d shamelessly share my latest release here, fully composed on Force and MicroFreak.

(Thereā€™s a link to bandcamp as well, in case you feel like getting me a coffee).

8 Likes

Clips are a certainly good way to have different patches/sounds for roughly the same instrument (e.g. kicks), without having multiple columns for a plug-in.

On Live, I often create a group track with multiple instances of a plug-in, for cases where I canā€™t send it a program change.

I wonder if idle plug-ins use any CPU bandwidth on the Force? For the main project though, Iā€™ll probably use force with clips for drums and percussion, then drive external synths for a few synth parts. I can manually change patches if necessary. I see that the column on the matrix has a program-change option, but ideally Iā€™d want an optional program-change per clip.

Tunes are dope and the sound quality is super clean. That synth is the little Arturia box? Damn

1 Like

Really nice. Did you mix this on the Force too? Itā€™s sounds really nice and clean.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, mixed on the Force too. All effects were from the Force too, apart from the reverb from my shit Behringer mixer applied to the Microfreak before recording it.

1 Like