Akai MPC Keys 61

The Loopop video makes sense of the price.

They are considering it as a high end workstation and so I think they’ve priced it against high end Roland / Yamaha / Korg workstations rather than high end groove boxes which tend to be rather cheaper.

Still doesn’t make me want to buy one.

My Sweetwater rep says you will not be able to use them on the Live 2 if you buy the Keys. You’d have to buy an additional license. That pisses me off quite a bit. I’m hoping he’s wrong. I’ll find out tomorrow when my Keys arrives.

1 Like

@Automageddon @MPC You are efficiently draining me from anything that remotely resembles enthusiasm and I love you for it.

Whenever I display the slightest indication to get a Keys, I’m counting on you to show me the Path of Pain, Hollow Knight style.

1 Like

Wait, no SD card slot?! I was thinking how nice it would be to pop an SD card out of one mpc, put it in the other and keep going. Dreams shattered.

1 Like

I heard the same.

The license is tied to your serial, so I’m quite certain he is right.

Hey it’s got a USB connector. You can plug a SD card adapter into that. Twelve dollars isn’t outside your dream budget, is it ?

1 Like

Man’s gonna be eating ramen for years now.

2 Likes

I don’t want to have to embrace the way of the dongle! $12 adds up when you lose one every week lol. Although I did just wash an SD card that was in the pocket of my pants, so I may just be a hopeless case.

1 Like

But not as fast right? :nerd_face:

Washing SD cards?!

Is that how the format it these days?

I’m too scared to plug it back in to see if the formatting “worked”.

This review claims the price will be $1899 in the US.

I really don’t like that I like the new plug-ins. At all.

1 Like

Should be very close, but there are some variables. AKAI will no doubt have tested several different brands, and should specify USB SD adapters they’d recommend.

Some discouragements:

• It’s not a Prophet 12
  • It’s not a Blackbox
  • Does not have Force’s clip launch
  • Only run 8 plugins simultaneously in memory
  • It’s not a Prophet 12
  • It’s not a Blackbox
  • No streaming samples from disk, unlike Korg Kronos/Nautilus
  • There’s a serious delay when switching from one Project to another, as demoed here.
  • It’s not a Prophet 12
  • It’s not a Blackbox
5 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Damn you know me, man.

There’s this, though -

If it’s the same as the others, it’s only usb 2.0

1 Like

Lofi is out, clean beats are in.

3 Likes

I hear you on the plugins though.

As I recall, the MPC sequencer was an effective deterrent for you in the past.

Would a quality keyboard combined with plugins whose sounds you like might overcome the distaste for the MPC sequencer?

Or would this combo overpower your dislike of using external sequencers/DAW? :scream:

1 Like

I hate that they made this giant workstation but still aren’t offering a linear arranger in the MPC software.

1 Like