Akai MPD226 Controller

Just picked one up today, mainly as a live performance tool to use with my Digitakt/Digitone.

I can and have done live performances with the Digi boxes by themselves, but I must admit that I sometimes find myself deep in the weeds with the mechanics of things and I started missing those big pads and other controls on my old MPC Live.

The MPC controller as an augment to the Digis seems like a good compromise. I still have all the fine direct control in the Elektron boxes themselves, but the attached MPD226 can let me more easily do more of the stuff common to live performances with less squinting and bigger controls. Plus, it’s hard to complain about velocity sensitive MPC pads for finger drumming. :slight_smile:

I’ve started digging in with the preset manager to customize for the Digi boxes and so far, so good.

1 Like

OT but related: the Korg PadKontrol is also very nice if you can locate one. I had one hooked up to the bbox on my Monomachine long ago.

2 Likes

I looked at those. Good used prices, and the X/Y pad is intriguing.

For me, the MPD’s three banks of 4x programmable buttons, faders and encoders were important.

1 Like

I am curious if anyone knows how to set up an MPD pads to mute/unmute tracks. I have an MPD 226 as well, and was hoping to set up one of the pad banks to mute tracks on my DT and DN. Is this possible?

Unfortunately I don’t think the pads can control CC’s. I have it set up so the buttons mute tracks, though since there are only 4 of them I have to use multiple banks.

Thanks for response…this is how I have had mine set up for this same reason. The reason I asked is because I recently saw a video with someone doing it, but they were using Ableton, so it must have been through MIDI mapping there and Overbridge. I generally work with a hybrid setup and OB as well, so I’ll explore that avenue…if I can get it set up later, I’ll post how I did it. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know whether the note repeat function built into the MPD226 will sync up to and trigger tracks in time on an octatrack?

I currently use an Arturia drumbrute for my band’s live rig (running thru the octa), but I’m thinking about freeing up octa inputs and just sampling the drums. That said, I will really miss the drumbrute’s lovely note repeat

Edit: looks like I could also do this on a beatstep pro. Anyone have any thoughts between the two?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it can sync beat repeats, as it has midi in (1/8”) and can sync to external clock.

I bought an MPD226 this winter after a lot of research and had to return it because the quality control on the pads was so bad: even with the duct-tape-under-the-pads trick and real patience I couldn’t get it to stop double-triggering, sticking, or having some unresponsive pads. (Different pads would stop working right any time I moved the device.) It’s a common issue and seems like part of a cost-cutting design in the latest iteration of this device. It might be best to get one with an easy way to return.

I still haven’t found a drum pad with faders I like, got the XJam as a cheap tiny drum pad on Quest for Groove’s recommendation, it’s okay but the encoders aren’t great.

2 Likes

Ohh that’s really good to know about the quality control issues, thank you! Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

I found out that a local shop has the Beatstep pro in stock, so I think I’m going to try that out instead

1 Like

I’m still searching for the perfect controller too.
Recently I was also looking at the MPD226, but sounds like they are pretty hit or miss quality wise.

Can the XJam play notes in a scale like the Launchpads or keyboard fold mode on the ST?

Iirc a handful of the stock presets are the 11 major scales at a few octaves. The XJam has a weird “pocket calculator” programming method for programming the pads, knobs and other settings, and a click per setting app on computer. It’s very bare-bones, and while it has playable pads, I don’t find myself using it often, because its pads are basically the same size (just 4x4 layout) as the LaunchKey Mini that I was trying to supplement. I kept it thinking it might be handy for an ITB setup one day.

Yeah, the 226 was just about perfect for my needs in terms of programmability, but reading the widespread consensus that they’re making cheaper, flimsier products these days (at the same prices) made me wary of trying out their other controllers or products.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Beatsteps, and being able to try it in person sounds great. (Might still get one of these myself one day…) Good luck!

2 Likes