Alesis Quadraverb, Midiverb etc

I am also one of the lucky ones. I paid for an OG, got a Plus, and there was also a 1962 Stratocaster inside.

1 Like

Wedge is the one I was talking about, and itā€™s still all over the place. I checked again, and the recent sales are everywhere from $100 (reasonable) to $500 (not so much). Some of the $100 sales didnā€™t include power suplies, though.

Itā€™s really too bad about where prices have gone on pretty much everything old since the pandemic.

1 Like

I picked one up in lovely condition with PSU for ā‚¬60 last year, theyā€™re out there.

1 Like

Yeah they are, but definitely more expensive. $60 was on the low end of typical just a few years back. Better than what happened with synths, though.

And tee shirts.

1 Like

Tbf Iā€™m in Ireland and the market for that stuff isnā€™t as competitive, prices are still much more reasonable and thereā€™s still plenty bargains for the patient!

1 Like

People have seemed to realize that older reverbs which were cheap as they added unwanted color/character are now desired for the same color/character.

2 Likes

Partly that, partly jsut people are paying a lot for anything old now. Tee shirts are agreat example, before Covid I used to get great 80s and 90s shirts at thrift shops for under $5 all the time. Now they arenā€™t even there. Iā€™ve been out 8 times to multiple thrift shops in the past couple months and Iā€™ve seen maybe 25 shirts older than 10 years (out of literally thousands) because people are flipping them online for $50+ now (but anything good is usually more like $100-$300, itā€™s just insane).

There are bargains around for sure, but at least in the US and Canada there arenā€™t many bargains online like there were 3 years ago. Iā€™m probably going to sell off a decent amount of the old stuff I picked up cheap and use the money to buy one or two nice, modern pieces of gear that will still be working in 10 years - Iā€™ve had too many pieces of older gear fail recently.

I dont think you can. There doesnt seem to be any menu that pertains to screen stuff. (I went through all of them)

1 Like

I remember when these rack units FX by Alesis were new. I always thought they sounded like shit, I never understood the interest in them other than just a cheap FX unit home musicians could use to make their demoes sound worse? why hunt these down when you can get a new OTO Machines BAM that will kill anything Alesis ever put out? If youā€™re gonna buy an old FX, but something thatā€™s quality like an old H3000 or Ensoniq.

Because a OTO BAM doesnā€™t sound like a Quadraverb :grin:

What sounds like shit to you might sound lovely to some of us.

It might be partly nostalgia, I think the Quadraverb were used on lots of the early Warp stuff. You might argue well thatā€™s because they couldnā€™t afford better, they probably wished at the time they could afford a H3000. Thing is, some of us grew up with those records, so we might be more inclined to be attracted to that sound.

Also, Iā€™m probably selling it short by implying it was only used on ā€˜cheapā€™ early ā€˜IDMā€™ records. I seem to remember it was used on Stone Roses albums, for example. Martin Hannett owned one and wasnā€™t he a big Eventide user? But apparently he still found uses for it.

The QV does some nice stuff when you drive it hot, intended or not. And in general it just has a lovely crunchy dirty sound. Which you might not like, fair enough. But let us have our fun.

And the BAM is 4 times the price, so for someone starting out the QV is a nice multi-FX, not just reverb.

Also, you hardly have to hunt these down, they are easy to get (maybe depends on where you live). Maybe if you want to score ā€˜the greatest dealā€™ you have to do a bit of hunting.

9 Likes

heretical_audio,

A DP4 is also 10x more expensive. An H3000 is 40x more expensive. So not really ā€œan alternativeā€.
QVā€™s can be picked up for like a 100.
If you prefer a 4000ā‚¬ Eventide (which probably most of us do), then buy those.

Your post almost feels like trolling.

4 Likes

I miss mine :slightly_frowning_face: Although I find spin-chip DSP can get a similar aesthetic, especially one that allows you to do SSR (like the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL). The ALM MFX has a mode thatā€™s supposed to mimic the Quadraverb but Iā€™ve not tried it.

If I remember correctly I sold mine to a fellow Elektronaut I wonder what itā€™s up to

2 Likes

Yeah, whoā€™d want to spend Ā£100 on a stereo 1u rack box that has four simultaneous and very useable effects that can be configured in many different ways, extensively controlled via midi (in ways that very few effects units have ever come close to) and driven into some lovely distortion.

And thatā€™s not even mentioning all the stuff that came extra in the QV plus.

I see the QV very much like an MX-5. Cheap, a bit flaky in places, but a lot of fun and gets the job done. It isnā€™t a Ferrari and it would be ridiculous trying to compare it to a Ferrari, because itā€™s not a Ferrari.

Do you pop on MX-5 owners forums to tell them theyā€™d be better off buying a Ā£200,000 Ferrari?

12 Likes

When I was searching around for my MVII I noticed one of the guitarists from Def Leppard still uses a couple of them to this day. They were one of the biggest bands in the world back when that came out, he couldā€™ve been using whatever he wanted these past 35 years.

1 Like

If anyone do feel inclined to do so:

4 Likes

Lol. I literally just donā€™t understand the love for these units, thats all. not trolling. Iā€™ve used them, and just thought they sounded thin and digital.

As for ā€˜oldā€™ units like H3000 being too expensive - thereā€™s some fantastic IRs of them out there for cheap that sound very close to the hardware. I would prefer that over a quadraverbā€¦just my contrarian view.

IRs are necessarily static, and part of the magic of Eventideā€™s algorithms is their dynamism. Space is the place. (If you want the Eventide sound. Nothing wrong with the Alesis sound of thatā€™s what you are after)

2 Likes

I got given a midiverb 4 just before leaving on a trip! But it has a problemā€¦its not remembering user pre-sets, its not the 2032 battery, i changed that. Anyone had anything like that happen?

For anyone looking for a better screen for a Quadraverb, try circuit benders, who provide excellent replacements. Easy to replace and fantastic off axis viewing.

I went with white on black.

7 Likes

Thereā€™s a big big soft spot in my heart for the Quadraverb. No longer have one here but it was permanently strapped to my mixerā€™s aux sends for a good decade. I came to even love itā€™s soft added hiss as well.

I eventually replaced it with a pedal that was supposedly modeled after 80s rack reverbs but I admit itā€™s not the same.

Highly recommended for the studio.

2 Likes