Alesis Wedge

A simple question friends…

I have a working Alesis Wedge, in good condition. So the question is, is it worth hanging on to it in 2022? Is there something “better” I could be looking at?

Just looking for honest opinions

Cheers

Are you using it? If so, keep it. If not, sell it.

If you’re asking if something else sounds “better”? That’s super subjective. Great sounding reverbs sound great. Horrible sounding reverbs have character. The wedge has some of both. It 100% depends if you like it. If it sounds good, it is good.

9 Likes

I appreciate the wisdom and you’re 100% right of course. I’ve been pretty ruthless lately about selling things I don’t make good use of. The Wedge has been in storage for a long time. Might be time to let it go to someone who can get the benefit of what it has to offer.

I get this and try to live it, myself. But (with full knowledge that “use” is exactly how I framed this above), I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with keeping gear that you love just because it sparks joy or whatever. So be ruthless, yes. But don’t let “good use of” be your judge. Follow your heart. Your gear just wants to be loved :slight_smile:

It being in storage, though, suggests to me that it’s time to let it go. A thing I learned is I used to hoard gear because I was worried X might become the next “lost sound” and I’d never be able to get it back/missed-out somehow. But with the advent of online marketplaces like Reverb [disclaimer: I wrote the app] gear rarely vanishes anymore. You can always get it back, just sometimes (more rarely than we think) at an inflated price.

But, again, if you really love a piece of gear, you won’t mind (rarely) paying 3–5× its original price to have it again. Doesn’t sound like you’re there with the Wedge.

2 Likes

Sell. With the proviso - it is a compact fx box rather than a big hulking synth and not knowing what else you own whether it might still have a role as an emergency backup.

That’s a good point and worth considering. Thanks for your thoughts.

I feel that, maybe I should have said “gear that inspires me”, as that’s closer to what I’m aiming for. Really appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

the wedge had been my only reverb for a long time. i had the wedge for utilitarian verb on one mixer send and the korg sdd-1200 as my utilitarian delay on the second mixer send. they both are great for that because they sound great, have character, and i would never be inclined to sell them as i am with most other gear.

i recently bought a dba rooms for the 3rd time ever to see if it enhanced my analog synths at all, because i knew i loved that specific sound. and now i run the wedge into the rooms. i would be fine without it, but its a little more “pristine” and “organic” maybe? i have a hard time describing what i like about reverbs. i love the alesis wedge and if i had to keep one, it would always be the wedge

but i suppose that some modern reverbs are a little more “full”, to the point of overpowering or distracting in a way that i dont find musically useful in a mix almost ever. the wedge just always sounds great to me. its like having a stock ableton reverb fx bus or something. i think it’s worth keeping. you dont need anything else but there are i guess more high def/massive reverbs out there (or in the form of valhalla plugins)

i dont think its worth giving up

*edit: reading your last comment, i should admit that the dba rooms did help to inspire some new patching and sound design from my take-5. so i dont know, it’s a tough call

I really appreciate the perspective @Encephalitislerthargi. I’ve decided to sell the Wedge, because although I appreciate the sound of it and the interface is actually really good - I have moved on to using small setups like the Digitakt + Digitone and they both have good and usable onboard effects. When I go out to an effect, or add something in a mix, it’s usually of the more extreme variety. The Valhalla plugins being a perfect example - they’re amazing.

Not mine

1 Like