All is well in synth land

All is well, great info here.

7 Likes

Rather than thoughts and prayers…here’s a link to guys that do awesome repairs…[if you don’t mind shipping to Van]

Dieter says delete.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a child of the seventies after all.
Dad jokes aside - hope it didn’t fry the unit beyond repair.

4 Likes

Show it a couple of these, maybe it will change its mind.

8 Likes

Good luck! I had a smoke smell in my room some time ago and got really scared, in the end it was a not even one year old mixer from Soundcraft, no smoke but really bad smell of burnt electronics… luckily none of my old synths that I suspected first.

Hope you can get it fixed for a reasonable price!!!

1 Like

The last jam you made must have been fire.

6 Likes

Dieter says delete.

I’ve heard nicotine patches work well

1 Like

Don’t lose too much sleep over it. If it’s true to the original, it’s imminently fixable. :+1:

9 Likes

Indeed. I’ve never worked on a reissue but the old ones are really simple.
Also, not powering on is often one of the better symptoms to experience.

3 Likes

We are destined for greatness.

3 Likes

In that case don’t let anyone talk you into “just change the fuse”, for a cheap fix.
Fuses blow for a reason.
I had an original for over 20 years and while it did have regular issues it was never a challenge for the technician. I hope yours goes well.

3 Likes

I’m preying.

It’s a beast. One of the originals. Always wanted one.

Sometimes components just meet their end. I had an OB-1 (oh I miss that thing) blow smoke once because a tantalum cap blew. This is not uncommon, and often just requires replacing some passive components.

2 Likes

I hate tantalum caps. There is almost never a need for them, they fail explosively, and they are made with conflict minerals. Just wholly unnecessary in almost every situation.

4 Likes

baseball caps > tantalum caps

3 Likes

2 Likes

Smoke is just part of that analog warmth. It’s fine.

2 Likes

Make it go through a full pack until it learns a lesson

2 Likes