"all your Overbridge devices may act as sound cards simultaneously"

Hi all

On page 16 of the 1.10 Overbridge manual it states the following:

MAC
On Mac OS X, all your Overbridge devices may act as sound cards simultaneously.

The only way I seem to be able to address the RYTM as an audio output is to do it in Live’s Audio Device preferences, selecting it as one single audio interface. Am I misunderstanding this quote as I’d assumed it meant I could route each OB device back through it’s own outputs (after processing in Live), something similar to composite audio devices in OS X ?

e.g.

RYTM via OB -> Live ch1 -> RYTM outs -> DJ mixer ch1
A4 via OB -> Live ch2 -> A4 outs -> DJ mixer ch2
Live audio/soft synths -> Fireface UCX outs -> DJ mixer ch3

I basically wanted to use Live as a digital mixer/processor and I’m short of channels on the Fireface so I hoped that OB would free up some analog IO.

Thoughts appreciated, cheers

pretty sure thats not possible… you can get the audio into the computer via USB, but you cant send audio from ableton back out thru the analog outputs on the elektron boxes - which i agree that statement seems to indicate

i think they are referring only to the multi-track output from the elektrons when they say “soundcard”

I’m guessing they are referring to “Aggregate Devices”, like in macOS:

Note that using these increase latency by maybe 20ms for me, which is more than I can live with but
probably fine if you don’t play live and just use sequencers.

Aggregate devices and rename it something unique and select it in ableton as the output sound device.

Really ?
I thought you can…

I don’t see why you would want to output Ableton audio in one of your Analog Elektron.
IMO one stereo output is good enough. Maybe two if you have more than a pair of monitoring outputs…
Would you mind developing on this ? Why would you use your OB device as an output for Live ?

When Elektron states that OB devices can act as soundcards, it means IMO that

• you don’t need a soundcard to record your Elektron
  • you can use it to record an external source
    In reality you can use only the A4 input as AR input needs high volume input unfortunately.
    But anyway you can plug another source and record it directly through OB, without the need for an external soundcard.

haha, i guess i need to RTFM… havent used OB so I wouldnt know

thats a pretty interesting feature… not sure Id use it but yeh

Yep, I mentioned composite devices in the thread but I got the name wrong :wink:

It’s for a live set though so unsure if I want to handicap my Fireface. May try it…

I’m short of physical outputs in the Fireface so I was hoping to free some up.

My question was more : why do you think you’re short of physical outputs ? What would you need more than what you have already ? (naive enquiry)

I mean, I use 4 outs for monitoring, can’t think of any other need than that…

And this title is very “All your OB are belong to us”.
:smile_cat:

External FX sends :slight_smile:

I see. I don’t use mine cause my low profile Alesis Multimix 12FW add noise + it’s a mono sum :frowning:
So I basically learned to make without ^^

My suggestions :
For the Rytm, you may use the separate outputs directly towards the mixer (well, if you have enough Audio channels on your mixer). This way you send trough OB to Live, and through your mixer in parallel.

For the A4, you can use the audio return (A4 >-OB-up-> Live >-OB-down-> A4 audio -> mixer)

But I’m not sure you can declare both the A4 and your Fireface as soundcard… I believe Ableton needs you to pick one…
This has to be tested.

on Apple computers you can do this at the system level… its called “aggregate devices” …

Yes, but I would thing this would redirect all the audio to both A4 and Fireface.
If I understand correctly, you’d prefer to separate these.

But in fact, you could do as I suggested for the AR : get the A4 audio outs towards the mixer while you record in Live with OB.

Now the question is : why would you need to “route each OB device back through it’s own outputs (after processing in Live)” ?
Do you process these machine a lot in Live ?
Do you need the processed Elektron signals to be separate from all the rest of the audio out from Live ?

I’m using some dynamic processing.

Yes. I simplified my setup/question but everything is eventually routed through a 4 ch. DJ mixer so the sources need to be separate. This is purely for a live gig, not tracking the gear.

Would love to hear someone from Elektron clarify the meaning of the manual quote :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses so far though.

Aggregate Devices audio setup macOSX