Amazed by Heat

Classic.

I’m glad you got one. With the kind of music you make, I wondered why you didn’t get one sooner.

1 Like

Right? I don’t know why I took so long. Worth every penny within a few minutes and I know I have so much more to explore. The USB audio lag when recording with a phone is also surprising. No lag… With the DN I feel like I push it hard sometimes (screen lag) and this is a good way to offset the processing power. Fantastic!

1 Like

I always have this quote in my head when someone discover the Heat :

“It’s probably the most underrated tool out there right now.”

Hank Shocklee — of The Bomb Squad & Public Enemy fame — on the sound shaping capabilities of the Analog Heat.

8 Likes

One thing I love about Heat (as a partial noob) is how it has me appreciate gain staging.

Second thing I love is how easy yet deep it is. It is never frustrating to tweak and find that balance, but instead rewarding and satisfying.

Third thing is the analog filter. Just sublime.

I rarely use it for distortion, and stay on the clean boost most of the time. If this was it’s only circuit on it it would still be worth its price easily.

Very under rated bit of kit. I used it on the Korg Wavetstation and man it just totally came to life! I think this is the best combination I have tried with it by far.

3 Likes

It’s fun with the Waldorf Iridium

I ordered a second AH a week after getting my first one. So good. I use one dedicated to the AR and second on my board using the GigRig G3.
Look into the G3 when you get a minute.

1 Like

Just chipping in to say I’m amazed by heat. It may have ruined un-heated noises for me.

7 Likes

I’ve been holding off on contributing here because I didn’t want to do a honeymoon gush post. But, now that it’s been a few weeks, I’m gonna do a post-honeymoon gush post… Heat is fucking awesome. I mainly use the Enhancement circuit and pushing things quite hard really suits my recent explorations that are full of noise and bass elements. Damn, anyone lacking bass in a track just needs to fire up that analog high-pass filter, a lil resonance, then tune the cutoff to the lowest note – it makes anything sound so much weightier. Great device, and well worth the money!

19 Likes

Had mine for about a year now. Still love it as much as when I first got it. Such an awesome little box.

2 Likes

Sharing the same feelings for a week now. Love subtle settings on the filterpanning too

2 Likes

Enhancement was definitely my first favorite circuit. They’re all so useful, though. Post some examples! I want to hear the hotted up noise and bass!

1 Like

I like its saturator

2 Likes

People who are happy with the Heat, how are you integrating it with your setups?
Mine usually sits on a shelf, and to set it up I need to:

• get it off the shelf and find a place for it on the table;
  • plug the PSU in;
  • pull audio cables from whatever I was playing with and plug it into the Heat;
  • find an extra pair of audio cables to connect gear to the Heat;
  • fiddle with sensitivity settings to match levels pre-Heat;
  • reload preset because my unit has the “parameters randomly reset” bug that Elektron acknowledges and refuses to fix;
  • now I can use the Heat, what was I doing again?

I realise a part of it is self-inflicted, but I haven’t figured out how to integrate it more efficiently into my workflow. Appreciate any tips.

1 Like

I mean… I don‘t have the Heat myself, but in case you have a mixer, why don‘t you just have it sit on the master or some subgroup and just activate it whenever you feel like it. Twiddle away and if you think you‘re not really going anywhere, just deactivate it. At least you haven‘t interrupted your workflow so much.
You can always recable everything once you found some specific purpose beforehand.

3 Likes

my best use is to have it sitting on my desk. only power cable and USB are plugged in. when I’ve got all my instruments sitting decently in the mix (in the DAW) and it’s time to add some oomph to the main buss I turn on the Heat and run the mix to/from it. class compliant audio. twelve year old computer. it works without issue. then just dial in the magic.

yeah most of your issue with it is just circumstance. finding a spot for it in your studio sounds like half the battle (but I feel your pain).

2 Likes

I only have three bits of gear, AR, A4, AH. AR has it’s audio out into A4. A4 has audio out into AH. AH has usb to laptop and audio out to monitors.

I have headphones that I plug into A4 (if I’m just doing A4 stuff or AR+A4 stuff, AR (for AR stuff) or AH for “put it all together”.

I did just buy a Mix8 and I’m thinking I might have A4 and AR go into the mixer and heat on the out after the mixer, but so far I’m pretty happy with this set up.

(WRT the bug, I didn’t know about it, but I often have to reload my preset, now I know why!)

2 Likes

I have all my gear in a closet, so I also have to set it all up every time. That’s the Heat and one other device (DT, DN or A4), along with two jack cables. I have a handful of Elektron PSUs by my desk, so there’s less stuff to carry. The first thing I do is load the init preset and and leave the sensitivity at low because medium is juuuuust sensitive enough to give me that “input too high!” message on kicks.

It’s a lot of work every time I use it, but I’ve started looking at it as a ritual that clearly outlines my “music making time”. I use the same desk for work and when playing games too, so when I’m not making music I don’t want my gear to fill up my entire desk. If I catch myself just tweaking stuff without really being engaged, I’ll put it all away and not feel bad about doing something unproductive like watching youtube.

Also, I love the Heat. I use it on my master all the time, and the few times I can’t be bothered to set it up, I’m always designing my sounds and patterns with the Heat in mind. The Saturation and Enhancement circuits are my favorite :slight_smile:

5 Likes

…i can only repeat myself, while never getting tired to mention it again and again…

…even cheapest thin harsch plastic get’s the vibe of a truu analog big old mixing console…
it’s by far, the most underrated swedish box of all…

here. in studio, one is the hardwired door keeper to dedicated inputs on a metric halo interface for whatever…

on stage, one is always hardwired to ot’s cue outs (the dataline trick) for whatever…but mostly to glue and punch up all rhythmgroup stuff…

and a few weeks ago, i even remastered an old album of mine with it, which i only had mp3 files left of it…played those mp3 files out on a macbook via an old apogee one interface, through the heat into the metric halo…and exactly THAT result is now on all streamingfarms out there…and it sounds warm and fad and punchy and can compete with all the others easily…

u can spent lot’s of big bux for hi end outboard gear…OR 600 bux for a heat to get there anyways…

4 Likes

I use it like this, but with Overbridge rather than using class-compliant audio. I then apply it as an insert or a send in my DAW as needed (and if I want to run it as an insert on multiple tracks I just bounce them). I can add automation, additional LFOs, whatever.

I also have it connected via my patchbay so I can use it as part of the sound design process with all my gear, but my main use case with it is when I am working a mix, and Overbridge makes it super-easy, so really I would just need power and USB cables.

1 Like

Woodwork to unite devices, bottom screwed using vesa holes.

9 Likes