Amazed by Heat

Nothing like a bit of danger with a bottle of beer near your gear! :grimacing:

6 Likes

Donā€™t worry, all his gear has been vaccinated against the Corona beerus.

11 Likes

Mine sits between one OT and another, signal path wise.

OT 1 into Heat. Heat into OT 2.
This allows me to keep one OT heated and then I choose which OT to plug other gear into based on if I want it heated or not.

If I want other gear Heated I plug it into OT 1ā€™s inputs where it gets mixed pre-Heat.
If I donā€™t want other gear Heated I plug it into OT 2ā€™s inputs where it still gets mixed with OT 1, but is post-Heat.

I like the flexibility and OT inputs are so physically accessible that I donā€™t need a patchbay.
USB/OB is also used for any soft synth sources, occasionally.

3 Likes

I just realized the AH is probably the only 2 in 2 out audio interface with stereo multimode filter, eq section and distortioncircuits build in!
Never thought i could recommend the AH as audiointerface but i like the audio tweaking while having my zoom meetings.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! It is a nice preset and I think I will be returning to it often. Noticeable but not excessive.

2 Likes

Had an old friend come by this evening. He had helped me setup my old jazz/r&b tracking and mixing rooms some 15 years ago. We were going through old sessions we made in those days and so we tried out the Heat via OB on some parallel busses and occasionally the master.
We used great gear on those sessions. Beyer M-160s, AT-4060, DRS-Q4 preamps, Lynx Aurora 16 converters.

Simply amazing the clarity, sheen, and character it added. Hitting the envelope follower controlling the drive amount, on a female voice + nylon string guitar duet was heavenly. Really makes me want to explore it more for less rhythmic elements.

Just when I think I canā€™t be more amazed by Heat, it wows me like never before.

13 Likes

I honestly dont know why I didnt get one ages ago, nor why I still dont have one.

8 Likes

Haha Iā€™m in the same boatā€¦

For me itā€™s a matter of not having any room for it. I have to sell something for it to be able to fit and I donā€™t want to do that

3 Likes

A less is more preset iā€™m working on that creates a tiny different sauce depending on choosen circuit. Even the High gain doesnā€™t completely smash it. Nice for dubtechno or ambient. Just adds a little noise and livelyness:

DT an DN through heat

7 Likes

Hey guys,

I used to have a Sherman rack mount that I reluctantly sold.

I now have some funds to buy one again but I keep seeing hearing good things about the Heat.

Do any of the Heat circuits come close to the Sherman character?

Calling @ghostbuddy

Welp

No, they donā€™t really sound similar. I mean I guess you could conjure up some tones that are kind of in the same ballpark as what the Sherman can do, but the AH has NONE of the craziness that to me defines the Filterbank. The AH is precise and refined, youā€™ll get some really nice ear-pleasing distortion, from subtle to pretty gnarly out of it but even the High Gain and Round Fuzz circuits are tame compared to the FB. Get the Heat if you want precise control over what your filter and distortion unit does. Get the Sherman if you want madness and mayhem.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! I guess I can use plugins for subtlety and get another Sherman for mad lab tones.

Youā€™re lucky to have both.

Yeah IDK if I REALLY even need both, would be more sensible to sell one and buy a nice polysynth. But I canā€™t, theyā€™re both really great at what they do. I use the Heat to add character, subtler distortion to sounds, for mastering tracks and use the LFO to make cut ups. Iā€™ve only had the Sherman for a week now, but Iā€™d say itā€™s best suited for destroying anything you run into it. I havenā€™t been abled to dial anything subtle in, itā€™s just mayhem and happy accidents.

Just have to add, AH is more like a swiss army knife, similar to how the OT is a sampler on paper but in reality is capable of so much more. AH is similar, it can do a lot in your setup from being a simple distortion unit to mastering device to cut up machine. Itā€™s filter is super precise, you can cut out frequencies with scalpel accuracy. Programmable LFOā€™s and envelopes mean you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, but itā€™s not that immediate. You have to program everything. Sherman is more limited, itā€™s just a fucking mental filterbank.

4 Likes

Any interest in a Heat preset pack?
I know the majority of settings benefit from tweaking the device while adjusting to match the source material but iā€™m wondering how many users like to have more presets as starting point. If enough are interested iā€™ll work on a pack with some additional info for preset usage and which controls to use to get the most out of them.

6 Likes

Iā€™d be interested in this. I have to explore my AH deeper, and some patches with additional info would be a good resource to learn more.

Took a little more time then expected but here it is:
Elektron Analog Heat preset pack 90210 (gumroad.com)

Note: The infosheet i liked to add didnā€™t work out because while working on that I realized fx are so source and creativity depending that it make more sense just to try and listen and tweak further to taste.
Discount code 30% off for fellow Elektronauts: Elektronaut (use it while it lasts)

4 Likes

I think either an info sheet or a demo video (or both) would help.

I know it probably easy, but a walkthru on how to load the presets. Iā€™m looking it up now, but id feel more comfortable if there was a step by step in a readme.

Even just a list of the preset names (if they are somewhat descriptive), just to get an idea of what to expect.

2 Likes