Analog Heat

[quote=“BonfireTesticular, post:353, topic:31131, full:true”]
I had a feeling that this thing was going to be a disappointment for me. Like there isn’t enough distortion units on the market already…?[/quote]

Tell me how many ~stereo~ distortion units exist. Also tell me how many ~stereo filter~ units are currently in production. This definitely fills a niche, just not your niche. And that’s okay:)

3 Likes

yes but how many “stereo” distortion pedals are there?

1 Like

Rainbow saturation FTW!! :fire:

1 Like

This! ABleton audio out via Overbridge to Heat. Audio also to a Max device to calculate the required gain. Audio back in again. Via the Max device for some feedback control. I hope someone builds this device soon…

1 Like

Ummmm, plenty! Anything Eventide has made will give you plenty of options. There are plenty more but I assume you are smart enough to use google right?

As for Stereo Filters? How about Vermona? They’ve been making them for years. Again, use google.

For me this is a pretty interesting box. All the sample sounds are pretty great.

Resampling loops with this would be pretty great.

The price isn’t really all that out there when you consider you get something like a waldorf 2-pole filter box, plus high-end distortion pedal, but also with presets and a sound card and preserving the stereo sound field.

It certainly seems like the kind of gear you’d end up using all the time live and in the studio.

Looks like all the light gray knobs are normal low-high knobs and not the electron ‘endless’ parameter style. This is great for live tweaking!

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Tim Hecker and Ben Frost all the time during the last few days and was thinking about getting a decent distortion unit. It’s like Elektron was reading my mind.
OT->CUE->AH->OT :scream:

3 Likes

No argument that Digital will offer more options than Analog but a Analog Box just like the RYTM but geared toward making synth/noise sounds doesn’t seem possible or even amazing to you?
Throw in external MIDI control and I think Analog MONOmachine would be what everybody would call it behind it’s back.

Although it’s not stereo, it seems Waldorf already beat Elektron to market…

You could actually buy two of them and still have enough left over for a bag o weed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

still they are pretty limited for under 1k. add reprogrammability / daw and assignable cv control and it becomes even smaller.

Is the envelope an envelope follower that reacts to the volume of the sound with a sensitivity setting of some sort? Would one be able to achieve compressor-like or transient-shaping like effects utilizing the envelope?

1 Like

Don’t really think it’s for me but some of the demo’s sound excellent. I really liked the double bass demo examples - 3 o’clock wet @ 50% on saturation sounds brilliant. “Round Fuzz” on the 808 pattern is cracking too.

I know this is oversimplifying things a great deal, and it’s been a while since I owned an AR, but couldn’t one get away with using the AR in a similar fashion?

What are you worth, could we trade you instead :wink:

In all honesty, I think it’s a :heat: price - but it does sound fabulous, and that’s online demos ! I didn’t know i’d want one until it was disclosed - but I don’t see it as being anything quite as flexible as 1/2 to 2/3 the price of anything they’ve done before, definitely a premium sound at a premium price.

The distortion is a key ingredient IMHO to getting the right harmonics exciting and highlighting the filter, you don’t need to go crazy with it or be into destroying the source, but the heat is the outcome of that side

It’s gonna sell itself to many others anyway, so why don’t you look at all the good stuff you could get instead and see if it’s the thing you want/need the most. Comparisons are a good way IMHO to see where the heart is. Besides, less gear is more.

5 Likes

Looks really interesting, need a proper demo, stat.
I think :elan: :fire: has alot of tricks up its sleeve, seemingly vast options with cv in, OB interface for 2 lines in. Cost is where I thought it would be. I was hoping for a few more lines in and less distortion orientated as others have said. Great they have moved away from endless encoders on this product, this is a welcome move.
AH coupled with my AK and the new Korg Arp module could be a match made in heaven for a 6 voice all analog beast machina.

The more I tweak the demo, the more I get convinced… Brilliant idea btw.
Still haven’t found a preset with the envelope follower… Have you ?

I remember the guitar days, the wah as an extension of the foot, driving the fuzz mad… So much expressivity…
Price still hurts, but I’m starting to just play with the idea of adding not just a new layer, but a dynamic way to sculpt the sound, in real time…
Yes, this idea is growing…

Give you the time to play with the demo, finding sweet spots and coming back to the ones you overlooked…

2 Likes

Long time Elektron user and fan here. This did not do anything for me really. I would have loved to see more effects or some sort of competition to eventide if they were going the effects route. I also don’t like the name.

1 Like

To be fair, my remote viewing attempt 11 days ago was uncannily close!

Any good comparisons come to mind? I was previously thinking about getting the H9/H9 max for my effects needs. Or you know of any other effects unit that might be multi-in-multi out with midi implementation? Sounds like a hefty request, but if there’s something out there, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

I’d say so - a bit more fiddly (routing to sidechain ins to get to filter first) and a lot less options, besides a different signal path/nature … but yep - something to give you a bit of warmth & character, maybe nothing too close to the :heat: though

Few, the Sherman/Rodec Restyler and the Elysia karacter (for distortion).

I wonder if the AH has M/S mode, that would be great, as in the Elysia Karacter.

I think this is for folks looking for stuff as the the Culture Vulture, distressor or karacter, it is cheaper it offers more creative options, aplications, presets and integration so it is better value.Good pedals aren’t so cheap and they are mono and very few have any way to control them.

I think they should have added the compressor, it would have been insane value.

1 Like