Analog Rytm & Analog Four. Transformed

Well that is indeed unfortunate. Everyone has expierenced something like this with some Kind of Gear along the time. In my case it was a Sub37, that i found very dissappointing.
But thats worth a new thread.

These new black MKIIā€™s sure are gorgeous and a software update too. Dang, itā€™s not even my birthday!

1 Like

The snares sound great! Very firm and full. Do you use the compressor?
Loop points? You can loop between start and endpoints and this can be modulated. What else would you expect from an analog drum machine? The pads on mine work very well.
Itā€™s not bling bling, those are some great updates with very useful features.
I really donā€™t know of any other drum machine in the world that compares with the AR (overall features and sound wise).

2 Likes

I canĀ“t jump on the hate-train either. Elektron gives new customers the choice between a black and grey version, end of story. I like that they changed nothing else because existing customers arenĀ“t pushed to buy a new one. ALl new features are available for all users, even the old mk1 gets all new features from the OS upgrade. If anyone feels bad about this release the problem is clearly not on ElektronĀ“s side.

7 Likes

But after all has been said, Nobody has said they are buying one :rofl:

1 Like

I do want a black A4. Have to see side by side which one I prefer, but darkness is really itā€™s true color in my mind, light grey doesnā€™t reflect the sound I get from it.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve got the black Rytm on order and itā€™s shipped. I think itā€™s great that they made black versions. No hate. The MkIIā€™s are already so deep and feature laden that when they released the last three firmware upgrades I thought to myself ā€œoh my god now I have to learn [this and that]ā€.

What I do hopeā€¦ and I will report back hereā€¦ Is that they use the same matte paint from the Digitakt and digitone. Not a shiny variant like the gray on the previous generation. That had a sheen to it.

I do have one question that Iā€™m not certain of the answer. In the Elektron description of the new units they say that theyā€™ve change the color to black and that theyā€™ve also changed some of the lighting? Does anyone know exactly what this means.

ā€œ The enclosure has a sleek black finish and a complimentary back-lit colour palette.ā€

ā€¦thatā€™s how they describe it. Iā€™m assuming that the buttons have an updated led color. And if thatā€™s indeed the case, that can potentially affect all users in the new firmware update. Maybe theyā€™re trying to make it jive with the Digitakt workflow.

1 Like

Its a superior black paint. Not just any old :slight_smile: No seriously from what iā€™ve seen it is matte and quite dense.

1 Like

I would imagine complimentary meaning opposite so toned down a bit as opposed to the grey which had to be toned up to make the lights stand out.

1 Like

Oh yes. I didnā€™t really pay too much attention to the word ā€œcomplementaryā€œ being something that meant ā€œmatchesā€œ but youā€™re right. Good eye.

I already have an original A4, but Iā€™m seriously considering picking up the new A4 mk2.5.

The only thing holding me back is that the process of moving my entire content (projects, songs, patterns, samples, sound packs, etc) would be a major PITA.

Is there an easy way to basically plug one machine into the other and mirror it?

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard this mentioned - there is a tweak to rgb colour values for the black ones in some system states - I understood it to mean dimmer

1 Like

you can SysEx dump from one direct to the other iirc - donā€™t quote me, but Iā€™m sure I did this when I got a Mk2

obviously only supports what ā€˜chunksā€™ can be sent at present - single project & down - but you can do the +drive iirc

2 Likes

Do you remember if it put all sounds (presets, samples, soundpacks) into the same banks?

there wasnā€™t anything too tricky about it to merit it being a reason not to get - I would however suggest (as you mention samples) that that could well be a very different kettle of fish - samples get hash tagged by the system (and obviously the A4 doesnā€™t have samples, but you mentioned samples). -so in that reagard youā€™d need to ask somebody about that in another topic maybe, but I was able to get +drive banks mapped A to A iirc B to B etc

However, if thereā€™s a gap in A i.e. 10 sounds then gap of 5 then 15 more sounds - the receiving Bank which you manually select when receiving will get 25 straight sounds from the start position, it doesnā€™t cater for gap preservation

The key to doing it fast is to connect both via Turbo (i.e. bidirectional cabled transfer sets up 10x midi rate) o r tbh probably best t o do via usb to computer (keep the backup) then move to new machine

Either way with the caveat that samples may be a bit of a headache on an AR in some ways then it isnā€™t an obstacle, it may get boring if there are 100+ projects, but thereā€™s no shortcuts

1 Like

Thx for the info. I donā€™t know why I mentioned samples (I have an AR2, so my brain had crossed wires).

1 Like

Samples on AR, as on DT, are pretty straightforward to deal with: their location as no influence on what link them to Pools an Patterns.

For Sounds uploading, I wonder if you sysex every Bank sound from a machine to another, if thousands of Sounds can be transmitted or if you have to do this Bank by Bank.

Would be cool to be able to dump the whole machine state when doing a backup!

2 Likes

although thatā€™s why I mention the hashtag (not the name or eventual destination) - it is possible to have samples nested in folders with the same name, so they need a unique hashtag identifier iirc, thereā€™s a subtlety to this afaict, but as I donā€™t lean on the sample side I am not too fussed about it impacting me, but if I relied on that structure across a machine, Iā€™d be wary about that transfer process and any embedded dependencies based on those identifiers if applicable

The hash function that creates a hash ID for a sample should be consistent across different machines, so a given sample file will always have the same ID. So Iā€™d be very surprised if transferring them to a different machines causes problems.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been paid to develop software for 32 years. ā€œRevealed at a later stageā€ isnā€™t how software enhancements work. No product would ever be delivered if we had to think of years of revelations to add in up front.

Iā€™m just thankful they have developers still tinkering and enhancing the OSes on this older set of hardware . As a MkI A4 user I thought the box was awesome when I bought it. I think it is awesomer now and am impressed with the longevity of the product.

20 Likes