Analog RYTM mk2 record button not working

Hi

Just bought an AR mk2 on eBay. The seller said it had recently been serviced by Elektron and was under service warranty.

firing it up, the record button doesn’t work. I’ve put it in test mode and it doesn’t register (all other buttons do)

Is it an easy fix? A return to Elektron or just a new switch?? Or should I return to the seller?

Thanks

your options to explore are limited I guess … as in, if you went looking to see if the rec switch was a bit sticky or dirty then you are crossing a line - maybe speak to the seller about it now

it might be that the switch is needing an appropriate clean, it may be a bad solder or a bust switch - the part and work are probably relatively minor, but it’s the overall cost of getting somebody to do it

it seems that without any dialogue with the seller you have limited opportunity to find out enough without potentially creating issues to return it subsequently

it’s certainly a button that gets a lot of activity, maybe check with the seller/elektron what the work that was done was for - if related to this issue it might be a good or bad thing, it’s hard to tell you what to do - it may depend on whether it was an exceptional deal or just a regular price !

1 Like

Write a Support Ticket to Elektron, they‘ll give you an honest answer and more advice on repairing. They also usually repair used units, since they‘re the best company ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. It was a pretty good deal (€800) so if like to keep it if possible, but not if it’s going to cost me loads in postage & fees to repair

Has anyone got experience of elektron repair costs?

Last year I had a broken screen on a Digitakt and the guy at Elektron quoted me…
“The cost of a repair is 40 EUR + VAT / 50 USD / 32 GBP per started 30 minutes. Spare parts and shipping are not included in this price. It’s highly unusual that repairs exceed 30 minutes. Turnaround for repairs is 1-3 weeks after we receive the unit.”
Add to that the shipping cost both ways which is between £80-£100 for the UK.
I opted to do it myself but that’s another story.

1 Like

Thanks. The seller has just sent me the invoice from Elektron - apparently it went back to have the rec button replaced. Clearly, they haven’t done it properly, or there’s some other issue with it, as it’s gone again (which seems weird)

That may work out in your favour, or not, but clearly it’s possibly intermittent or the issue is more complex - only Elektron can advise you what might be possible with regards any repair - it’s up to you to figure out if the potential cost is worth it, or if taking on the inconvenience of being without it is worth it … either way, it does sound that this particular device needs to be seen by Elektron, be it from you or from the seller … i.e. it’s not likely to be within your control to fix this locally

that’s just based on what you’ve shared, it’d be best to ask Elektron what your options might be going forward