Analog Rytm MkII Unknown Device Descriptor

Hello,

Have had a flawless experience with Overbridge for months up until this point. Booted up the Rytm MkII like I would any other day recently and now getting Unknown Device Descriptor errors in the device manager. I’ve tried uninstall the device and reinstalling, along with making sure everything is up to the latest version but even after forcing it to install the Elektron driver I now have Windows 10 infinite stuck on the Installing Devices/Uninstalling Devices screen with no means of exit.

Don’t know what to do at this point, any advice?

Wooooo that one was a bitch!

I’m gonna pay my internet dues and detail what the issue was. So first off, maybe I broke something to begin with but from what I can tell the 1.61B Analog Rytm firmware added support for the Elektron Updater utility. If this is really what blocked me from functionality shame on Elektron because I could not find legacy versions of Elektron Transfer anywhere so why would developers lock users to downloading a updater software their device might not even support?

Anyway I digress in a attempt of impatience I forced Windows 10 to install the Elektron Driver on the USB device complaining it couldn’t retrieve a descriptor (my Analog Rytm running 1.60B) this did not end well. Basically the installer hung and I had to force a reboot (even worse) upon reboot the device appeared installed (yay!) but the problem persisted (boo!).

Trying to force uninstall the Elektron Analog Rytm driver in Device Manager again yielded infinite uninstaller windows forcing me to reboot as I couldn’t even kill the process in task manager. This became infuriating as I knew I had worked myself into a hole by my own hand. Eventually I resolved to uninstall the driver files by hand. Going into C:\Windows\System32\drivers to uninstall the Elektron files I could remove all but one which was locked by an extraneous process I couldn’t identify. All utilities I installed like IObit to unlock this file failed and I had to reboot into safe mode to actually remove it.

After that the files were finally removed and I put my Analog Rytm II into USB MIDI mode and booted up Elektron Transfer 1.4. This time the utility finally found my device and I was able to upload 1.61B. As of right now I can finally see Analog Rytm in Overbridge 2.0.60.2 once again and I can get back to using it in my DAW. This troubleshoot quest was borderline nostalgic (but not pleasantly) as I haven’t fucked my system files like that since my early 20s/teen years.

TL;DR: Uninstall all Elektron software, Reboot into safe mode, delete all Elektron drivers in C:\Windows\System32\drivers, reinstall Transfer, update your devices, install overbridge, bleeding chef’s kiss